kirkmodern
andywooders
big ed
truk10
tenpot
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs

Post by andywooders June 5th 2012, 11:43 am

hi ref the Murray catalogue-I only have an unbownd version but it is very interesting-email me your details as andycaseydesign@aol.com

my book is out of print and the publishers want to relaunch so hopefully we change some of the images-11 years is a long time in publishing andrew
andywooders
andywooders

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs

Post by NaomiM January 30th 2016, 10:42 am

I've moved the query about a Keith Murray-looking vase to here:

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t18679-is-this-a-keith-murray-vase

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Empty Wedgwood/Keith Murray "football"(?) design - later two-tone version?

Post by J2020 October 11th 2017, 11:58 pm

Any Wedgwood/Keith Murray experts out there who might be able to give their opinion about a vase I
acquired recently (bought on impulse without previously knowing anything about the Wedgwood/KM connection!) ..?
(see photos)

It appears to be a two-tone glazed version of vase shape 3765 ("football"?) in green ("celadon" ?) and
off-white (cream?) (ground) but with slightly less pronounced annular stepping and no hanging-lip at the
opening rim.

The base has under-glaze impressed marks "WEDGWOOD", "MADE IN ENGLAND" and another mark (possibly
incomplete?) which could be interpreted as either "3", "W" or "M" (?). There are no other factory marks
or signatures.

I've searched the web but found nothing similar...
Is it a later/modernised version of the 1930's original?, - any ideas? (date, pattern etc)
J2020
J2020

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by J2020 October 12th 2017, 12:03 am

...sorry, forgot to include photos in last post! - hopefully attached to this one

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Wedgwo15
Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Wedgwo16
Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Wedgwo14
Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Wedgwo17
J2020
J2020

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 October 14th 2017, 10:47 am

Hi

Nice vase. There is a variant on the football vase -shape 3802 - that came with the celadon glaze but this is the first time that I've seen the celadon glaze on a football vase. Having collected KM pieces for over 20 years and not come across one like this, combined with the fact that it doesn't have the the KM stamps strongly suggests that this is a trial piece. Whether it's from the pre-war production or the post-war preduction period is harder to determine as both the celadon glaze and the football shape were used during both periods.

If I was to guess, I would go for pre-war on the basis that the top lip is, as you say, not standard, which suggests that it could come from an early period when they were refining shapes and glazes.

Hope that helps

Kurt
truk10
truk10

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by J2020 October 14th 2017, 10:16 pm

Kurt. - Brilliant, - many thanks for that
....so, one for pride-of-place in the glass display cabinet, rather than for general everyday flower arranging on the window sill!

Following your information - found an image of vase shape 3802 [1935] on the Wedgwood Museum website
- which gives dimensions of 236mm (h) x 220mm (dia) ... which seemed huge!

have also seen different sizes online e.g. 200mm (possibly shape no. 3765?) and 185mm (shape no.?)
.... BUT mine is even smaller at roughly 145mm (h) x 150mm (dia.)!
- how many sizes were there ?

Antique-Collecting UK website: Re: two-tone wares - "....from January 1937...  ...celadon green slip on a cream-coloured body.." ..[lathe turned] .. ".. to expose the lighter colour beneath the slip..".

Thanks again
J2020
J2020

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 October 20th 2017, 12:00 pm

Hiya

Shape 3802 only came in one size which is about 9.5 inches tall.

However, football vases like yours (Shape 3765) came in three different sizes - Small (6 inches), Medium (7.5 inches) and Large (9 inches).

As the vases were hand-thrown, there are slight variations in height between individual vases, so at 145mm your vase will be one of the Small vases.

Very much a pride of place piece - KM collectors would be very keen to have it in their collections.

truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton August 29th 2018, 7:44 am

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Img_0415
picked up this Keith Murray charger today a few marks but no chips or cracks
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 August 31st 2018, 10:56 pm

Nice - fill the bowl with warm water and a bit of bleach ( non coloured) and it will remove the stains.
truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by truk10 August 19th 2019, 9:35 am

Very rare Keith Murray Football vase in April Green

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Straw_11
Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 April_11
truk10
truk10

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 15th 2023, 9:01 pm

Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Img_8014Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Img_8015Wedgwood Pottery - Keith Murray designs - Page 2 Img_8013

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum