Rosebery's modern auction

4 posters

Go down

Rosebery's  modern auction Empty Rosebery's modern auction

Post by croker September 16th 2021, 5:15 pm

Just viewed Rosebery's London auction online, not much pottery but a couple of interesting pieces, there is a very rare model of a horse by James Tower from an exhibition in 1952 and although the auction house haven't mentioned it you can find an illustration in the 'ceramic art of James Tower' book, page29, that shows Tower posing for a photo with this piece, also an unusual tea group of three pieces by Ruth Duckworth unfortunately slightly damaged .
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Rosebery's  modern auction Empty Re: Rosebery's modern auction

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 16th 2021, 5:40 pm

Lovely thing, has style - but little beyond my price range

https://auctions.roseberys.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/583/lot/183182?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F583%3Fpage%3D6
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 16th 2021, 11:19 pm

I don't have the book and didn't realise that he had don't anything like this. It's interesting that the date is that early too.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 17th 2021, 10:41 am

Hi Studio-pots, Yes the early date is intriguing ,the photo was taken in 1951 so it's possible the piece was constructed in 1950 , apparently there were two horses in the 1951 exhibition at Gimpels but different to this example, He must have been proud of this piece to have his photo taken with it , obviously Picasso inspired as were the 1951 exhibits but unlike Newland and Hine , i think he soon abandoned the Picasso link and done his own thing. The horse is not to every ones taste but has a certain amount of charm.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 17th 2021, 1:01 pm

I have wanted a piece of Tower's work for many years but it would need to be a platter. I would pay what is necessary but one hasn't come along in the last few years that has grabbed me.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 17th 2021, 1:13 pm

like you i have always wanted one of his large tin glazed pots but i cant really justify the considerable outlay on one, there is an example coming up in Wooly and Wallis in October.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 6th 2021, 7:45 am

The Michael Cardew piece from Kingswood is interesting, as is the RUTH Duckworth tea set. I see the James Tower horse actually has its original Gimpel Fils receipt with it.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 6th 2021, 2:38 pm

Hi Philpot, Ruth Duckworth pieces don't seem to appear on the market very often and the design of these pieces is interesting but the damage on this trio i think will hold them back. I would not have recognised the Cardew piece as his work. My wife is in love with the Tower horse!
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 8th 2021, 10:11 am

I think the Tower Horse is something I would really have to view in person. Pictures can only tell you so much. Especially 3 dimensional things like a Horse sculpture. You need a day out in London!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 8th 2021, 1:18 pm

Hi Philpot, I take your point on this , it would be amazing  if after 70 years  it hadn't been damaged in some way, taking in to account that it would have been out of fashion for some time and probably not respected. The few pieces that i have seen of this type of pottery  by Hine ,Newland etc have always been damaged or restored, it's possible that it could have had a sheltered life in a cabinet perhaps but due to its quite large size that would be doubtful. A trip up town is out of the question at the moment ,so its either take a chance that their report is good or leave well alone.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum