sothebys today

3 posters

Go down

sothebys today Empty sothebys today

Post by croker September 14th 2021, 2:18 pm

A few results from Sothebys today, top of the list a really superb Odundo vase at £214,200 ,a good 14 inch Bernard Leach vase at £4410,Sarah Flynn at £1638,and to please everyone a small De Waal bowl at £3528, Janet Leach vase was unsold, a medium sized Henderson piece fetched £4788 even though it had some flakes. Magdalane Odundo now seems to be firmly fixed into the fine art world and i wonder how long it will be before she overtakes Coper as the most expensive studio potter.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

sothebys today Empty Re: sothebys today

Post by studio-pots September 14th 2021, 2:52 pm

Being hand-built, Magdalene's work was never cheap and never plentiful. I don't know for certain but would think that there are fewer pieces of her work in existence than Coper's work and so in the medium term they should go considerably higher than they are today.

I remember her joking to me about not getting ARR for the pot of hers that was sold in New York for £86,500 in 2012, which was then a record for a living British ceramicist. At least when Sotheby's sell her pots here she gets a cut and a cut of something over double the 2021 price.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 14th 2021, 3:06 pm

I see that the vendor of the bowl by the obnoxious toe-rag had bought it from Cheffins in February 2019 for £1200 + commission and it was unmarked. philpot wouldn't have taken a chance of it. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 14th 2021, 3:07 pm

hi studio-pots, Did you get to see her exhibition i think it was called 'The journey of things' she is a superb potter but what really fascinated me in the exhibition was her installation of hundreds of glass phials forming a wave or similar .
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 14th 2021, 3:55 pm

studio-pots wrote:I see that the vendor of the bowl by the obnoxious toe-rag had bought it from Cheffins in February 2019 for £1200 + commission and it was unmarked. philpot wouldn't have taken a chance of it. Cheeky
I was too busy moving and downsizing back then!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 14th 2021, 4:09 pm

Bear in mind of course that Sothebys (and most of the other big London auction Houses) now lump buyer's commission etc on top of the Hammer Price and present that as the 'Sold Price'.
So for instance, there was a Lucie Rie Squeezed bowl in this auction that had a hammer price of £2800. Final price shown in Sothebys is £3528!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 14th 2021, 4:50 pm

studio-pots wrote:I see that the vendor of the bowl by the obnoxious toe-rag had bought it from Cheffins in February 2019 for £1200 + commission and it was unmarked. philpot wouldn't have taken a chance of it. Cheeky
Are you sure you have that date right Studio? Cheffins 2019 catalogues are Online, and I cannot see anything like that there. Cheffins was always well looked over by Cambridge people and I never ever got any real bargains there.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 15th 2021, 2:04 pm

croker wrote:hi studio-pots, Did you get to see her exhibition i think it was called 'The journey of things' she is a superb potter but what really fascinated me in the exhibition was her  installation of hundreds of glass phials forming a wave or similar .

I didn't see it in real life but I saw her glass installation on the internet.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 15th 2021, 2:06 pm

It's here philpot.....

https://www.cheffins.co.uk/fine-art/catalogue-view,the-art-design-sale_115.htm

Consultant
Consultant