tennants modern sale

2 posters

Go down

tennants  modern sale Empty tennants modern sale

Post by croker September 10th 2021, 7:25 pm

Just viewed Tennants and there are a couple of good pieces for you leach collectors ,a must have 'tree of life' vase which i guess doesn't turn up very often and a small leaping fish example also a speculative slab built vase by an as yet unidentified potter, i bid on this piece in a previous sale but it was withdrawn.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

tennants  modern sale Empty Re: tennants modern sale

Post by philpot September 10th 2021, 11:26 pm

18 pieces of Studio Pottery Not a lot there really. Bernard is not the market force he used to be. It will be interesting see where they end up. Nice Liz Fritch with a suprisingly low price estimate. and a nice Janet Leach. The unmarked tripod piece reminds me of Linda Gunn Russell.
Not a lot really.
They do however have a fabulous showroom and are a force to reckon with in Yorkshire auctionering!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 10th 2021, 11:40 pm

Yes Gunn Russell came to mind but i think apart from her early stuff she always signed ,it does seems a very competent piece though and i think i will probably bid on it again. I think the Fritsch item is restored. I don't know if you have had a look at Sothebys as there are a few pieces in their British made sale headed by an Odundo piece.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 11th 2021, 7:32 am

Sothebys have been running a fair sprinkling of Studio Pottery in those MADE IN BRITAIN auctions for several years now. Given their reputation, they have an audience that lesser auctioneers do not reach. A nice Odundo with a matching price! The blurb builds her up big.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 9th 2021, 6:11 pm

The Bernard Leach piece was heavily promoted in the Saleroom search. It got a very good price of £12,000 hammer price. The small porcelain Bernard Leach vase went for £1600. The Fritsch got £1600. Which seems rather low.
The Linda Gunn Russell looking fingy went for £550. Someone having an expensive punt? Or goof buy?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 9th 2021, 6:37 pm

Hi Philpot, I am not surprised by the price for the Leach , i think if you collect Leach you would have to push the boat out on this one, according to the condition report the Fritsch had been restored down one side (who would want a restored fritsch?) ,the Janet Leach was reasonable but it had a dodgy mark. Have you seen that a selected 160 lots from the Driscoll collection are being sold at Phillips on the 10th November ,there are some wonderful Coper pieces and that celebrated Ladi Kwali airplane water pot ,can't wait for the catalogue.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 9th 2021, 10:18 pm

There  are some spectacular items in there. I see that Maak is credited 'in association with'. Presumably a part of the Driscoll Collection is also heading to her Xmas offering. It would certainly be a very fascinating auction to view. I don't think my pockets would be in any way deep enough to bid tho! tennants  modern sale 1f604  tennants  modern sale 1f604
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 9th 2021, 10:37 pm

I think the rest of his collection is to go through Maak in 2022/23 there is a sale at Maak on the 29th November which is probably her regular one. It seems this is going to be a bumper end to the year with a few sales still to come, Partridge should be online sometime next week, you may already know but there is a preview of the partridge sale on facebook with a nice John ward piece. There could be pottery overload !.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 10th 2021, 12:17 pm

The piece you mentioned in the original post. Nicholas Rena comes to mind.
There a Tide in collecting. After downsizing to a 3 bedroom bungalow, we are much more picky in what we buy. Which is not much now! But it is fascinating to see the shows. The Adam Partridge sales have become a bit over-stuffed in recent times.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 10th 2021, 10:39 pm

Like you i am very picky in what i buy and have set rules on any purchase , i have never seen the point of collecting just by sheer volume. I agree the Partridge sales are always padded out with some very ordinary pieces and i think you will find this sale is no exception, as for Nicholas Rena i might be wrong but i don't think he used that coarse brick clay body.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum