Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics? Can anyone help?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Empty Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics? Can anyone help?

Post by seandux July 11th 2021, 9:22 am

Hi. Hope someone with knowledge of Braxilian ceramics can help with this figurine. Found in the north-west of England it's a figure of a woman with what appears to be a tray of fruit or vegetables on her lap. Not sure if she is preparing them or a seller. Has 2 labels on the base. The Blue label reads CASA HUGO JOIAS, PEDRAS E CURIOSIDADES MADE IN BRAZIL R. BUENOS AIRES 91 RIO (JOIAS, PEDRAS E CURIOSIDADES translated from Portuguese Brazilian to Englisg read JEWELS, STONES AND CURIOSITIES). The white label with the red border is (I'm guessing) the original price sticker. I've done plenty of searches of the text of the blue label but so far have come up with very little.

She measures 18 cm tall x 16.5 cm across (the tray) x 13 cm deep and weighs 760 gms.

Quite a few images below and if anyone can help (age, maker, Brazilian ceramics in general) I'd really appreciated it.

Thanks

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil10

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil12

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil11

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil15

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil14

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Brazil13

seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics?  Can anyone help? Empty Re: Anyone with knowledge about Brazilian ceramics? Can anyone help?

Post by studio-pots July 11th 2021, 9:44 am

From the labels it looks to be 1950s and the words in Portuguese JOIAS, PEDRAS E CURIOSIDADES translate as jewels, stones and curiosities, which suggest to me that it was a tourist piece.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum