Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they?

3 posters

Go down

Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? Empty Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they?

Post by stytagm July 4th 2021, 12:31 pm

Hi, Complete ceramics amateur here,

I was given two bowls when a neighbour was clearing a relative's house, they caught my eye as they're big and bright. I've done a little research but the honest truth is, despite knowing their manufacturer, I don't really know what they are (Stoneware? Delftware? Something else? Serving bowls? Fruit bowls? Soup bowls?)

I'd also really like to know roughly when they were made, so far I can only narrow it down between 1887 and 1955 - which is a big range!

There's a very clear printed mark on one bowl "Societe Ceramique Maestricht Made in Holland", the second has the same mark, but its obscured by a second impressed mark that I can't make out. They're quite heavy, about 800g each, and large, about 28cm (11") across.

I've learned from a bit of internet searching that this version of the mark was used between 1887 and 1955. (I can't post the link as I'm a new member)

Any further information, or clues as to where I could find out more would be much appreciated, Thanks

Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16012
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16010
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16011
stytagm
stytagm

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-07-04

Back to top Go down

Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? Empty Re: Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they?

Post by stytagm July 4th 2021, 12:35 pm

Here are a few more pictures, including a chipped section that might be useful identifying the material (if that's needed).

Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16015
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16013
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? S-l16014
stytagm
stytagm

Back to top Go down

Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? Empty Re: Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they?

Post by 22 Crawford St. July 4th 2021, 12:43 pm

stytagm - you just have to look them up and do some reading go yourself

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9_C%C3%A9ramique

check ebay for prices if you are interested
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stytagm July 4th 2021, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the link - I take your point that I need to do my homework :) here's what I've found so far.

I had found that wiki page before (sorry, should have mentioned). It's generally good interesting information about the manufacturer and it's history, but where I'm struggling is learning about the bowls themselves (especially as mentioned, their date, and what general category they are - sorry)

There's a dutch website called "The Memory" a sort of online museum (Sorry, still not allowed to share links) with photos of literally thousands of artefacts from the factory and items of pottery, but after about half an hour of scrolling I couldn't find the same design, or one similar enough to be confident it was the same style and period, hence reaching out to see if someone else would take pity on me.

Interesting that you mentioned ebay, one was sold with the same design in slightly different colours, but smaller (only 8 1/2") a few months ago, but it also didn't include a date, or name what it was made of. A second one from the States described it as both "spatterware" and "Spongewear" [sic] which sounds a bit odd, still no date.

I will keep looking, but if anyone knows, it's fun to share Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? 1f600 Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? 1f600
stytagm
stytagm

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots July 4th 2021, 2:25 pm

They are earthenware like most British factory made pottery.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots July 4th 2021, 2:27 pm

The impressed mark in your second image might be a date code, if the impressed characters are numbers.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stytagm July 4th 2021, 10:31 pm

Thanks Studio-pots, that's useful. I've taken a couple more photos of the impressions (turns out there's one on each bowl). I've taken them with the light source at an oblique angle which makes them a little bit easier to make out, but I'm not certain what I'm looking at.

The first (that overlays the makers mark) looks like "oOE" while the second is perhaps "NOE" (with a half sized capital N). But I'm far from certain. The crack in the second photo by the way appears to be from manufacture, as the glaze goes down into it. I don't know if that's normal for the period, or if these would have been sold as seconds or equivalent.
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? 20210710
Bowls by Societe Ceramique Maestricht, but when, and what are they? 20210711
stytagm
stytagm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum