Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish?

+2
denbydump
lindylou08
6 posters

Go down

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Empty Large plate/ charger - Leach pottery

Post by lindylou08 February 8th 2015, 1:21 pm

Hi
There is a mark on this charger but it's partly obscured with glaze. I'm hoping someone may recognise the form/ decoration which along with what is visible of the mark may identify it or maybe point me in a possible direction in which to look.  Happy   Diameter 32 cm

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9112

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9113     
Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9114

Ta muchly

Added from later post - Admin

lindylou08 wrote:As promised climber

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9115   Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9116  Jumping For Joy
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Empty Re: Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish?

Post by denbydump February 8th 2015, 2:09 pm

It looks like David Frith, Lindy
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7236
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Empty Re: Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish?

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2015, 2:17 pm

The mark that you can just see looks like the Leach Pottery mark. Is there another to the left of it covered in glaze?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed February 8th 2015, 3:20 pm

Very hard To make out , but Doesn't look like leach or Frith mark to me Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2015, 3:37 pm

studio-pots wrote:The mark that you can just see looks like the Leach Pottery mark. Is there another to the left of it covered in glaze?

In the Leach Pottery Standard Ware catalogue 1975 it is described as "Large Decorated Plate". The diameter was 12.5 inches, which matches yours. They retailed at £5.95.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 8th 2015, 3:53 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.
DD , the mark could be one of Frith's and I agree with the little knowledge I have that it looks a lot like some of his work. But I think the mark looks more like Leach. SP, when you say Standard Ware does that refer only to the shape or to the decoration too ?
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 February 8th 2015, 4:59 pm

Decoration is near but not quite Frith IMO. The mark looks like leach pottery and I don't think there's another mark. Could you post a pic of the whole base, please?
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2015, 6:23 pm

I thought Leach mark when I first saw it, but a df (Frith) mark when it was the other way up.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 8th 2015, 6:33 pm

I think SP has solved it Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? 622747 - Leach Standard Ware c1975. One question though - does the fact that it only has the Pottery mark and no individual's mark mean there is no way of knowing who was responsible ??

If an image of the base would be interesting to anyone I can post one tomorrow.
...... and yes the mark could be Frith !
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2015, 6:37 pm

lindylou08 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts.
DD , the mark could be one of Frith's and I agree with the little knowledge I have that it looks a lot like some of his work. But I think the mark looks more like Leach.  SP, when you say Standard Ware does that refer only to the shape or to the decoration too ?

They were sold like this with the finger wipe decoration and when I say Standard Ware I mean that they cannot be said to be the work of any individual potter. In fact your plate could have been thrown by one potter and decorated by another and they were all slightly different, depending on how the fingers were wiggled!

However, I did ask if you thought that there was another mark to the left of the Leach Pottery mark. If there was and it could be identified then that might make a difference to the value but in this case, even if there is, it isn't visible.

Therefore we are back to it being a large plate with finger wipe decoration made at the Leach Pottery, which is what it is.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 February 8th 2015, 6:40 pm

And if it's not too much trouble another pic from the side. Leach plates sometimes have a distinctive profile. Happy
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 8th 2015, 8:08 pm

OK climberg I'll post them tomorrow ( evening prob)
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 February 8th 2015, 8:16 pm

Only if it's not too much trouble lindylou as SP has identified it Happy
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 8th 2015, 8:21 pm

No probs
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 February 9th 2015, 6:51 pm

As promised climber

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9115   Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Dscn9116  Jumping For Joy
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Empty Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish?

Post by climberg64 February 13th 2015, 5:26 pm

Super Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? 2838678103
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 19th 2021, 3:28 pm

I've temporarily split this off from the main Leach St Ives thread just to research it a bit more.
There is this St Ives mark which is similar.

Marcusborra wrote:Could you please help me to identify this bowl with an impressed potters seal and name. The seal mark which is difficult to photograph, resembles that used at the Leach Pottery in St. Ives but the impressed name is difficult to read unless you already know it (sometimes if you know what it says you can read it).
Diameter of the bowl: 12cm
Height: 6cm
Length including handle 17.5cm  

Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Marksp50Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Marksp52Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Marksp53Leach Pottery St Ives Standard ware dish? Marksp54

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum