Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby?

4 posters

Go down

Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby? Empty Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby?

Post by NeilCoombs Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:28 pm

I just bought this rather nice heavy bowl and would appreciate any help with identifying it. The impressed mark on the base is UE but the letters are separate so I’m not sure who the maker is. I have only seen the conjoined UE of Upsala Ekeby and have had no joy identifying it so far. 🙏 Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby? 4f694610
Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby? 02aa9710
NeilCoombs
NeilCoombs

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-04-08

Back to top Go down

Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby? Empty Re: Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby?

Post by NaomiM Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:48 pm

I've come across it before, and I think it's British but it's not in the Marks book; still a mystery.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby? Empty Re: Large Bowl Stamped UE mark but is it Upsala Ekeby?

Post by NeilCoombs Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, do you have any idea of the date? It looks more of a factory piece than a studio piece although it has some faults in the glaze and it looks relatively new in terms of its condition. I’ll have to keep digging...
NeilCoombs
NeilCoombs

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:32 am

the colourway suggests the 1970's to me, it's a similar design to Poole pottery Aegean

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15426
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:15 am

I think that the last piece of upsala ekeby I had the U and E were joined together rather than separate letters - though it was a while ago.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:32 am

It looks like a studio piece to me. Sgraffito decoration is quite difficult to do; this looks like an experienced potter.
Unfortunately the 70s-80s is like the Dark Ages for studio pottery marks. Pre-computerisation, and between the 1st and 2nd editions of the British marks book, meant that many potters started up and retired or died or moved abroad before their marks were recorded. we just have to wait for one to turn up with a label

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum