1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch??

3 posters

Go down

1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? Empty 1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch??

Post by Clarehelen June 16th 2021, 10:44 am

Hello, I'm really hoping someone might be able to provide some information about this lovely piece that I picked up at a boot sale on Sunday. It is in the form of a bellboy with two parcels, which form containers. It stands 6.5" tall and is hand painted. There is a raised signature at the back that I believe reads Ivan Golkovitch, but there is no maker's mark.
I have tried to find information about Golkovitch, but there is very little available. There is a fish/dolphin currently available on line bearing the same signature and marked as made by A J Wilkinson. That seller has also found the same form of fish/dolphin, but without the signature, attributed to Clarice Cliff.
So I have a few questions:
Has anyone seen this bellboy before and do you know who made it?
Does anyone have any information about Ivan Golkovitch? I presume he was a designer but what was his link to Clarice Cliff?
What is this piece intended to hold? There is no striking patch so don't think it is to do with smoking/matches. I thought maybe a desk tidy?

Any information will be gratefully received.
Thanks

1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? P1650911
1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? P1650910
1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? P1650914
1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? P1650913
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Female Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2016-06-09

Back to top Go down

1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? Empty Re: 1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch??

Post by benwilliams June 16th 2021, 5:12 pm

Could be for cigarettes in one and matches in other. Smoking was so common then.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2331
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch?? Empty Re: 1930s Bellboy Figure - Ivan Golkovitch??

Post by Clarehelen June 21st 2021, 8:10 am

Don't think it can be for cigarettes - the taller container is too tall for cigarettes, especially in the 1930s when cigarettes were shorter than now. Also there is no striking patch which is usually present on pieces meant to hold matches.
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Female Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2016-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 21st 2021, 11:36 am

Spills in one and matches in the other?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum