UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG

3 posters

Go down

UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Empty UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG

Post by CharlieC Fri May 21, 2021 5:24 pm

A well made studio pottery jug with a tenmoku glaze. Not seen this form before and the way in which the handle is attached. H: 8". There is no visible monogram and was wondering if the form of this jug was familiar to anyone? Thanks

UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Img_2316
UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Img_2317
UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Img_2318
CharlieC
CharlieC

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2016-05-04

Back to top Go down

UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Empty Re: UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG

Post by Silver Pete Fri May 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Just a possibility, have a look at Peter Downey pottery on Google images. I have a Tenmoku bowl by him, also listed on the forum, and the glaze and clay look similar. Some of the items on google have handles which may also be similar....strange it's not marked though. See what you think Happy.
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2021-03-18

Back to top Go down

UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG Empty Re: UNUSUAL HAND THROWN STONEWARE TENMOKU GLAZED JUG

Post by CharlieC Sat May 22, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks for your thoughts... I've had a look and can't see anything in images which suggests a stylistic connection. Like you say, Peter's pots are generally stamped. Tenmoku isn't uncommon, however, I don't think I've seen a strap handle attached (at the base) in this way before and this unusual form of jug. It's annoying when potters don't sign their work - unless you're Hamada of course!
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat May 22, 2021 11:35 am

Where did you find it? Often pots do not go far from home as a lot is sold locally.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6430
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieC Sun May 23, 2021 11:37 am

Sorry for late response... Yes, I found it in a charity shop in Sherwood, Nottingham.
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sun May 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Sherwood is very near Rufford, where Ceramic shows were held for many years with loads of potters each year. It probably came from there.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6430
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieC Sun May 23, 2021 4:45 pm

That's a good shout... Well deduced! I'll take a look at that possibility and see where it goes. Thanks
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum