Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About

5 posters

Go down

Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About Empty Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About

Post by geraintwoolford May 15th 2021, 6:34 pm

I have this lovely looking pot and I have no idea about its use/purpose, its origin or age, I would welcome any assistance. There are no marks on the base. This one is 13cm tall and 12cm wide, but I do have a similar one which is 28cm tall, but it has damage. Thank YouStrange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About 10031a10
Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About 10031c10
Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About 10031e10
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About Empty Re: Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About

Post by abstract*toad May 15th 2021, 7:11 pm

I was going to say it might be a tobacco jar, but the opening looks really narrow. Must have been used to house something.
Really lovely decoration.
Sorry I cannot help you with ID.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About Empty Re: Strange Pot Which I Dont Know Anything About

Post by NaomiM May 15th 2021, 7:24 pm

I had something similar which I thought was a Spanish honey jar but turned out to be a Chinese pickling jar

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t9818-slipware-lidded-footed-pot-chinese-pickling-jar

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by geraintwoolford May 15th 2021, 7:31 pm

Thank you so much, I would never have thought of pickle jar, I had an idea it was oriental.
I just didn't know how to google its description. The assistance on this forum is exceptional. Thank you
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 15th 2021, 7:33 pm

Took 8 years for me to discover what mine was Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad May 16th 2021, 10:15 am

The assistance on this forum is exceptional. Thank you

I'll second that.
It is a wonderful site, full of helpful folk that share their knowledge without expectations.
And it's free 👍😊
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 16th 2021, 12:10 pm

I came across one similar maybe 20 or 30 years ago and didn't buy it because I knew nothing about it. I never did until now.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 16th 2021, 1:20 pm

Naomi's pickle pot has a much wider opening than this one, no inner lid, and the cover is rounded at top.
With this one, the inner lid looks intended either to prevent spillage of the contents or to keep insects out when the cover is off. The cover itself has a rim to the top allowing it to sit flat when upside down; it looks more like a small bowl than a jar cover and if one was found without the jar could easily be mistaken as such.
All this is to say that I have no idea what the intended use was but would guess that it was intended for a liquid of some kind with the cover doubling as a bowl, either to be drunk from directly as with teabowls or by using a spoon.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum