£15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction,

4 posters

Go down

£15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction, Empty £15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction,

Post by philpot May 13th 2021, 10:02 pm

https://maaklondon.irostrum.com/BiddingProcess/BiddingScreen/2091293

Markets are always intriguing. The latest Maak auction was fairly standard fare. Well 2 Magadaline Odundo did go for over £100,000 but that was no where the price she achieved in the last sale. There were 9 Joanna Constanindis pieces in today's Maak sale, all apart from one went for several times more than the estimate. But the one in the link went for £15,000 more  than 15 times more than the estimate. Fascinating really, it was a nice piece, but not a fantastic unique one that  a collector would want at any price.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

£15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction, Empty Re: £15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction,

Post by croker May 13th 2021, 10:55 pm

hi, sorry i hadn't noticed that you had already started this topic.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

£15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction, Empty Re: £15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction,

Post by studio-pots May 15th 2021, 11:54 am

I thought the same, philpot.

Several years ago, I had a large pot of hers that I couldn't sell for love or money until I put it in a deal where I accepted less than I had paid for it. Basically, because of the size and the fear of damaging it.

If I had just stored it away and forgotten about it until now I would be smiling but that's all part of dealing. Luckily, for me it isn't something that I have had to do that often.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 16th 2021, 6:20 am

Its got vague similarities to the Waistel Cooper discussion we were having some months ago. She does have all the hallmarks of an undervalued artist in the present market. Just not as obscure as Waistel Cooper. There is a huge amount of money sloshing around now looking for investment returns when interest rates are near zero.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 16th 2021, 2:05 pm

I don't think I'd be comfortable putting so much money into a ceramic piece with an investment return in mind. All it takes is one clumsy moment and your potential investment piece is suddenly a hundred shattered reasons to sit and sob. Then there's the chance that the appearance of a couple of well-executed fakes may kill the market for a particular potter overnight.
Me, I'll stick to buying pieces I like to look at that won't cause me financial grief if I break them.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 16th 2021, 3:03 pm

hi philpot ,As we all know these quantum leaps in price are often followed by similar items coming on to the market from hopeful vendors, generally prices soon settle down again. I agree that she is probably undervalued but not to that level. Incidentally philpot do you still hold the view that we are all simpletons because some of us only buy from the post leach era.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 16th 2021, 3:08 pm

Ooh, that's a loaded question. Give me a minute to fetch some popcorn, chaps.
£15.000 for Joanna Constantinidis at the latest Maak auction, 648347 Big Laughter Big Laughter
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 16th 2021, 7:25 pm

'Incidentally philpot do you still hold the view that we are all simpletons because some of us only buy from the post leach era.'
When did I ever give that viewpoint? Laughter Laughter
I suppose I have pieces from about 50 potters. Only Bill Marshall and Janet Leach from the 'Leach school'. As defined by pre-1979. Amongst the first pots I ever bought were John Maltby, Alan Wallwork, Tim Andrews, Sandy Brown and John Middlemiss.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 16th 2021, 8:16 pm

hi, i realise you probably said it jokingly its was under the topic( are vessels to limiting on march13th 2019)
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 16th 2021, 9:00 pm

*puts popcorn away*
Big Laughter
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 16th 2021, 10:07 pm

That's a bit like someone going through one's Twitter account of many years ago and producing that Oh so non PC post that gets them sacked.Big Shock Big Shock .I think Dan and I were mostly winding each other up in that thread. Me doing the pseudo intellectual bit.Laughter Laughter.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 16th 2021, 10:50 pm

only came across it by accident while browsing i didn't take it seriously.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum