Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia

3 posters

Go down

Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia Empty Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia

Post by Scotty October 18th 2020, 1:44 am

I have this cream colored lidded serving dish/bowl that has a small brass knob handle and a leaf pattern on the lid. The inside of the dish is a caramel brown color. Trying to identify the maker and also possibly the name of the pattern. Thank you !!!!! The second picture below is the best I can do to try and show the only mark I can burley see. It appears to be TSAR or TSAF or JRSI if that helps at all.Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia Servin10
Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia Servin11
Scotty
Scotty

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-10-15

Back to top Go down

Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia Empty Re: Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 18th 2020, 4:24 am

The decoration makes me think of J&G Meakin, but the way the lid sits deep inside the dish is similar to the lids of the serving dishes and teapots from Jessie Tait's Homespun Fashion Shape range for Midwinter, as does the mushroom brown colour, but the shape of the bowl is not one I've seen from either company, nor is the metal knop.
To my eyes (which are old and probably not to be taken too seriously) the shape looks Scandinavian. Are (or were) there any potteries based around the traditionally Scandinavian-settled parts of America such as Minnesota and Illinois?
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia Empty Re: Taylor Smith & Taylor - West Virginia

Post by studio-pots October 18th 2020, 4:03 pm

The mention of the English company, Midwinter, by Grumpy G reminded me that Roy Midwinter got the inspiration for the shapes from West Coast companies in the USA, such as Metlox and Hallcraft, together with the designs of Eva Zeisel and Raymond Loewy. Might looking in that area be of help?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotty October 18th 2020, 5:01 pm

Thanks guys!!! This gives me a couple of avenues to check out...
Scotty
Scotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 19th 2020, 2:00 pm

The West Coast states of California and Washington are the 2nd and 3rd states with the highest number of Scandinavian settlers (Minnesota is 1st) so that would fit with my idea, s-p.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotty October 19th 2020, 5:48 pm

I was able to finally track this piece down. They call it a vegetable bowl and it is by Taylor Smith & Taylor and the pattern is called Random Leaves.... I love it when I can finally ID an item...
Thank you everyone that wrote in!!!!!
Scotty
Scotty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 20th 2020, 4:28 pm

So West Virginia.

Pattern Name - Random Leaves - you couldn't make it up. Big Laughter Big Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum