Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover

3 posters

Go down

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover Empty Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover

Post by Grumpy Grandad Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:00 pm

I've had these Satsuma jars kicking around for years. The decoration is certainly busy but interesting. Very clearly mass-produced for export, I'm guessing they date from from the 1970s, but certainly no earlier than the 1950s. The stamp is slightly different on the larger jar but I think they probably came from the same factory.
I have a vase with the same pattern as the larger jar but I haven't yet come across it - it'll be in one of the boxes in the loft still awaiting my attention.
10-20 years ago this type of ware was at every flea market, boot sale, antiques fair and auction, but I rarely see it these days. I think that the three pieces cost me about £2.00 the lot in the 1990s, and I doubt that they've increased in value, but they're pretty enough and the pair of jars currently live in the bathroom, one for my wife's cotton wool balls, the other for bath salts, while the larger jar is in the kitchen for rice.

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200858

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200856

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200857

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200859

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200860

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover 20200861
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover Empty Re: Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover

Post by NaomiM Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Modern Chinese decorators pieces.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31537
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover Empty Re: Modern Pair of Chinese Satsuma style Ginger Jars and Larger Jar & Cover

Post by denbydump Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:16 pm

But nicely decorated, and decorative items. Known as "royal satsuma ware" late 20th C.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7225
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Later than the '70's, do you think?
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Still being produced

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31537
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:04 am

That doesn't surprise me at all, it's pretty much one of the traditional 'bread and butter' products that companies churn out with very few, if any changes for as long as it still has a market.
It is odd, though, that I really don't see it around the sales and markets nearly as much as I used to, although I suppose most of it now goes onto ebay, complete with much dubious dating and every other piece described as rare or unique Shrugs
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum