THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge

+3
22 Crawford St.
dantheman
philpot
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge Empty THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge

Post by philpot September 15th 2020, 7:30 am

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/208

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8790041/Britains-biggest-ceramics-collection-goes-sale-250-000-auctioneer-1-500-items.html

A vast two day auction of over 1000 Lots of American, Japanese, European and British studio pottery. The British items start from circa 570 and are in alphabetical order.  The British stuff is very interesting, collected from Art in Clay Hatfield, Oxford Ceramics Fair, Goldmark Gallery, Contemporary Ceramics London etc. over the past 10 years or so. Well worth a long perusal. One of the most varied , interesting, and largest collections of studio pottery to come up in some time.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6411
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge Empty Re: THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge

Post by dantheman September 15th 2020, 10:10 am

undoubtedly the best auction I have ever seen

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge Empty Re: THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCT 2020 AUCTION Adam Partridge

Post by philpot September 16th 2020, 7:07 am

Probably not enough historical depth to be one of the best. Fascinating to see a very large individual collection tho. Mostly built up over the past ten years, with items purchased in 2019. Very big customers of Goldmark Gallery, as most of the Japanese and Asian pottery seems to have been bought from there. Equally their tastes in British studio pottery seems to have been very much guided by Goldmark, Lots of Nic Collins, Phil Rogers, Jim Malone, Mike Dodd, Jean Luc Gerard, Clive Bowen, Svend Bayer.....Goldmark potters one and all.
One suspects there are many bargains to be had. Especially in the American stuff. I hardly recognise any of those American potters names. Unless the Yanks participate in the first part, that stuff is gonna go dirt cheap. Some nice pottery there as well.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 16th 2020, 9:53 am

I will be bidding on several of the Yank pots, I get bored of just buying Brit and European ceramics

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 16th 2020, 10:12 am

It's like a pot a week for ten years. 500+ pots. at £100 each that's £50k
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot September 16th 2020, 11:12 am

I wonder how the estimates compare to the origional purchase price
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 16th 2020, 12:58 pm

Definitely priced to sell. There are pieces on there I’ve paid £50-£70 from a Gallery or potters websites, which they’ve put a starting price on of £10 and an estimate of £20-30.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31523
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 16th 2020, 3:39 pm

I think I remember seeing little Leonard rushing around Hatfield, unless he was someone else that seemed to be fixed on buying quantity over a few quality pieces.

The estimates mean that many people, including myself, might bid who otherwise might not have bothered. That could mean some pieces might fly. However, there is so much miscellaneous stuff that, if you like it, then it ought to be yours at a fraction of the price it was bought for by the Shurzs.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 22nd 2020, 4:10 pm

I emailed the auctioneers a week ago to ask about viewing and collection of the pottery, they replied that I could only view a selection of pots and had to make an appointment by listing each lot.
They didn't answer my question about collection.
I recon their unprofessional response has saved me a couple of grand

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 22nd 2020, 5:26 pm

I doubt they can answer the Collecton question at the moment. Boris is due to announce the latest regional lockdowns, and R is over 1, with 500,000 cases predicted by the middle of October at the current rate of new infections. We’ll probably be in a National Lockdown by then. Their packing & postal  service is quite good

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 22nd 2020, 5:54 pm

if I was to  allow for postage costs, my bid would be below the guide price

Last edited by dantheman on October 8th 2020, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 23rd 2020, 9:24 pm

Most auctioneers are doing collection by appointment only, in a 'Covid efficient manner' or such like words. The Macclesfield saleroom itself tho is quite a tight place on entrance.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 24th 2020, 2:14 pm

This is a link to the digital catalogue of the collection. The photo on page 8 and 9 of a page turning catalogue is presumably of their living room. How did they ever move? Laughter The only comparison I can think of is the photos of Bill Ismay's collection in situ.

https://issuu.com/adampartridge/docs/ap_studio_ceramics_oct2020_v1.0?fr=sMDQ0MTE5NjE1OTY
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 8th 2020, 11:24 am

philpot wrote:This is a link to the digital catalogue of the collection. The photo  on page 8 and 9 of a page turning  catalogue is presumably of their living room. How did they ever move? Laughter The only comparison I can think of is the photos of Bill Ismay's collection in situ.

https://issuu.com/adampartridge/docs/ap_studio_ceramics_oct2020_v1.0?fr=sMDQ0MTE5NjE1OTY

Bill's place was much more cluttered than that, as was the flat of Dayabandhu (Michael Evans), whose collection Maak have been selling.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 8th 2020, 11:26 am

I have viewed the sale online this morning and there are a number of absentee bids showing and so, for the auctioneers, the publicity seems to have done the trick.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 8th 2020, 11:46 am

Covid saved me a fortune today, I left no bids despite the wonderful pottery on offer

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 9th 2020, 6:51 am

A lot of that American pottery looked fascinating, and there was very little in that first part of the auction that went over £100. But if you were thinking of reselling it, you would have found it difficult. Since moving to a bungalow we have virtually stopped buying pottery. We don't have any spare space anymore.
I will be fascinating to see what the British stuff does today. There is an awful lot of Mike Dodd there, and he has gone that well on Ebay lately.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 9th 2020, 7:02 am

Here isan auction closer to you Dan, Gaze's at Diss. Some interesting stuff there including a William Newland Bull and a Margi Hine sculptural piece, as well as a good deal more. Punchy estimates tho! Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 9th 2020, 9:34 am

One of our members lives close to Gaze's, he picks up some very nice bargains there

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by fridolina October 9th 2020, 10:21 am

Two small Richard Batterham boxes with estimate £35-55 are now £420 Shocked The next lot is one similar box with absentee bid £55 Rolling Eyes
fridolina
fridolina

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2020-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 9th 2020, 7:27 pm

Richard Batterham is widely regarded as the very best of the 3rd generation of potters to work in the Leach Anglo/Oriental Tradition With just cause. He now has virtually retired. This gives him a star quality that makes him bought for pure investment. Ditto the Lucie Rie, Emmanuel Cooper, etc in the aucition. This also has cast iron provenance as bought as Slader's Yard in 2014. Since he does not mark his work, the provenance makes it all the more desirable.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 9th 2020, 9:40 pm

Looks like I’ve won 2 American lots :)
Put on a load of low bids hoping to pick up some if they otherwise would have gone unsold.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 10th 2020, 12:18 pm

NaomiM wrote:Looks like I’ve won 2 American lots :)
Put on a load of low bids hoping to pick up some if they otherwise would have gone unsold.

That was certainly where the bargains were. Holding that section when they did seemed to have attracted people based in the States to bid (I know of a couple) but with the added costs and the fact that work by most of the American based potters is still available over there made most of it unattractive even if they won it with a modest bid.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 10th 2020, 12:26 pm

I watched most of the auction and did bid on occasions, without success, and was amused by Adam P's comments when the Phil Roger's items came up for sale.

It would appear, not surprisingly, that Rogers has sent him nasty emails complaining about him and the auction house for selling his work too cheaply. As if auction houses have any say in what a pot goes for.

When a group of Roger's work went for what Adam thought was a decent sum he said that might make Rogers think differently but added................ I wouldn't bank on it though. Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 10th 2020, 12:50 pm

fridolina wrote:Two small Richard Batterham boxes with estimate £35-55 are now £420 Shocked The next lot is one similar box with absentee bid £55 Rolling Eyes

The prices of these 3 small lidded butter dishes meant that the buyer(s) paid £260 to £280 a piece, which was out of sync with the other Batterham prices at the auction and with what I would have expected having sold Richard's items for more than 20 years. Having said that, what has happened since Richard was forced to stop potting through ill health hasn't been what I would have expected.

Traditionally, it was always more difficult for potters, who worked in this style, to sell lidded pots of any description in the UK than it is to sell items that don't have lids. However, American buyers have never had the same hang-up.

Maybe an explanation is that it was American buyers fighting over them or British buyers, who had previously never considered lidded pots, wanting examples for completeness.

Whatever the reason it did make me think that I should have asked more than £60 for the one that I sold a couple of months ago.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum