Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp?

3 posters

Go down

Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Empty Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp?

Post by r-and-f October 1st 2014, 8:51 am

Jeffingtons wrote:I really feel like I've seen both the mark and the decor style before but can't find it. Anyone got an idea?
Thanks

Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Img_2010

moved from the Alex Sharp thread because there was a question over attribution - Admin

I agree that his work can be very variable, but his best pieces are outstanding.  Over a long career at Morar Pottery and then on the Island of Bute he worked in many different styles using many different clays and glazes and a confusing number of seals and incised marks, most of which are not recorded in BSPM.  I haven't seen anything else by Alex Sharp using either the style or the mark of your teapot, but that doesn't mean that I am doubting that it's by him.
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Empty Re: Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp?

Post by Jeffingtons October 1st 2014, 9:24 am

Cheers. All I can say with certainty is it's a superior piece of potting, with a striking glaze design. I like it a lot, enough to risk the wrath of her ladyship for bringing home more stuff

Hi Studio-Pots, here we are and some more besides
Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0113 Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0114 Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0115 Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0116 Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0117 Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Imag0119
Jeffingtons

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 April 29th 2015, 3:14 pm

Can we consider again whether this is by Alex Sharp? It was IDed as such but there is no pottery mark and the potter's mark is different.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp? Empty Mystery AS mark - Alex Sharp?

Post by r-and-f April 29th 2015, 4:40 pm

I'm sceptical because I don't recognise the style of making or the decoration as being anything like Alex Sharp's other work. But on the other hand, as you can see from my pictures, he worked in such a wide range of styles and used so many different marks and had such a very long potting career, that anything's possible. It might just be that your teapot is one of his later post-retirement garden-shed productions.
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum