silver badge with motto “Quaesitum meritis”.... - Tarporley Hunt Club,

4 posters

Go down

silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  Empty silver badge with motto “Quaesitum meritis”.... - Tarporley Hunt Club,

Post by silverbug Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:57 am

Hi,
I picked up this badge yesterday and bought it simply because it seemed well made and had a good weight to it , as well as being attractive!
The seller seemed to think it was a regimental badge and  I had no reason to doubt him.
Now that I’ve had a chance to research it on the internet I really haven’t found out any more about it!
The motto “Quaesitum  meritis” seems to have links with the hunting fraternity rather than with the military but that’s as far as I’ve got!
I’m rather surprised that I’ve found out so little about the badge, it seems really well cast and despite no markings on it I think it is silver....
Can anyone shed any light on this little badge please ?
Thanks!
silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  Aa9d7b10
silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  D5b8e610
silverbug
silverbug

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  Empty Re: silver badge with motto “Quaesitum meritis”.... - Tarporley Hunt Club,

Post by 22 Crawford St. Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Pity it's not hallmarked if it's silver. Would have given a date. Fox hunting pins are a thing and the Victorians loved their badges. As it's silver I would have thought = Victorian. C20th would have more likely been enamel.

Is that a swan ?

eBay: Hunting-Memorabilia-Badges-Pins
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  Empty Re: silver badge with motto “Quaesitum meritis”.... - Tarporley Hunt Club,

Post by silverbug Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info, you’ve given me food for thought!
Yes it looks like a swan with a crown half way down its neck and also a spiral of what I imagine is meant to be rope wrapped around the body ?
It’s a handsome piece and seems well made, which is why I’m quite puzzled that it seems so difficult to identify!
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Hello silverbug, I'm a little late to the party but can solve your mystery. What you have is a pin from the Tarporley Hunt Club, Lancashire, Britain's oldest hunt club and still extant, albeit as a dining club only these days. The club has met since its earliest days at the Swan Hotel, Tarporley.
The Latin motto translates as 'the search for rewards'.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Hmmm Tarporley is in Cheshire isn't it?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7233
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Geography was never my strong point.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 pm

An image search for 'Tarporley Hunt Club' should bring up some images of the book 'The Green Jackets', a history of the club and Cheshire hunting in general. The club motif appears on the rear of the dustcover.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by silverbug Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 am

Fantastic , thanks for the information!
I hadn’t managed to find out anything more since August , that’s solved the mystery totally, and yes having viewed the back cover of the book you mention the motif is indeed the same as on my badge!
Thanks again!
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm

My.pleasure, silverbug.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 pm

I love a happy ending silver badge with motto “Quaesitum  meritis”....  -   Tarporley Hunt Club,  234527
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum