+5
NaomiM
Steven_G_UK
SussexLiz
lindylou08
sunnyices2
9 posters

Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty stoneware vase with JC mark - John Green

Post by sunnyices2 March 6th 2013, 2:34 pm

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Img-2026

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Img-2027

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Img-2028

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Img-2029

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Img-2030
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark

Post by lindylou08 April 23rd 2016, 5:40 pm

John N.S. Green, Cheesmans Pottery. Fairly local to me but I've never come across his work before.

Heavy / deep, stoneware with embossed? regular pattern to outside and lovely glaze inside  - blue with a broad sweep of ? tenmoku which looks iridescent right in the bottom.  Somehow the outside doesn't really seem to 'go' with the inside decoration.  23cm diameter

Would be grateful for any other information on the potter.   Thanks

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1040015 John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1040018     John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1040019
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty Re: John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark

Post by SussexLiz April 29th 2017, 1:32 pm

I knew John for a few years, but sadly he died some years back. He was a fantastic potter who was capable of throwing very large items (he was strong!) and lived with his partner at Brick Kilns Common near Wisborough Green. I also have a handful of his items which I cherish. He was a lovely person and shared his skill with others as he worked as an Adult Education tutor.
SussexLiz
SussexLiz

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-04-29

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty Re: John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark

Post by lindylou08 April 29th 2017, 3:02 pm

Great to find out something about him and to learn that he potted in the area of the county that I love very much as my family for several generations came from the area ie Enernoe, Kirdford etc
Thanks
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty John Green JG mark.

Post by Steven_G_UK September 29th 2018, 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I saw that people here were familiar with John Green's work and am hoping to tap your knowledge.
Its been suggested to me that this may be one of his and his mark.
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Johngr10

There was another piece accredited to him, bearing a similar mark (not owned by me) but a completely different style of work.

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Jg110

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Steven_G_UK
Steven_G_UK

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 29th 2018, 3:50 pm

Yes, apparently by John Green, Cheesemans Pottery. He must be in a Marks book somewhere as there are a number on google with the same attribution but I’m not finding him in the Studio Pottery one. In Goddens , maybe?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 29th 2018, 6:47 pm

No mention in Goddens.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7219
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_G_UK September 29th 2018, 10:29 pm

Thank you for your replies and the information.
Much appreciated.
Steven_G_UK
Steven_G_UK

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-09-29

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty John N.S. Green, Basing Farm Pottery, Sussex

Post by hercules brabazon April 25th 2019, 11:23 am

One of those potters who appears in all the marks books, but whose work remains rather obscure. Small vase, 9.5cm tall in a rather uneven celadon glaze;  "heavily potted", would I suppose be the polite term.  Impressed seal mark of capital "B" and three dots. The boldly painted price - five shillings - in blue on the base - is  possibly the aesthetic highlight.

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Dsc07213

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Dsc07217

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Dsc07215 John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Dsc07216
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 11th 2020, 6:23 pm

Merged because it's the same potter; he was at Basing Farm Pottery before moving to Cheesemans.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 11th 2020, 7:32 pm

So where does my Planter fit into this?

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t16154-basing-sussex
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 11th 2020, 7:38 pm

lindylou08 wrote: John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1040019

Now that's a proper telephone number! Date anyone?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 11th 2020, 8:59 pm

1960s I would guess.
Could be from his Basing Farm Pottery but we may not know for sure know until another one turns up. It doesn’t look the same as the two pieces of his I’ve seen from that time

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Pete May 31st 2022, 12:27 pm

Bought today, a large casserole pot.John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140915
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140913
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140914
Came from a local charity shop. I couldn't resist it at a tenner(that's expensive by my book!).John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140916
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140918
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark P1140917
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2021-03-18

Back to top Go down

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark Empty John Green vase

Post by Marq71 July 30th 2022, 7:28 am

John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark D5b68710
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark 77e18d10
John Green, Basing Farm Pottery and Cheesemans Pottery, Sussex, JG mark 5ae2d510
Hi all, I thought I’d add another example of Johns work with his mark.

I have this one in my collection.
Marq71
Marq71

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-07-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum