Struggling to find the origins of this dish

3 posters

Go down

Struggling to find the origins of this dish Empty Struggling to find the origins of this dish

Post by geraintwoolford April 22nd 2019, 5:40 pm

I have acquired this small metal dish, 12.5 x 8.5 cm. The writing on it has been badly rubbed, I can make out date of 1911, and that the building is the Tomb of Safdar Jang in Delhi. Has anyone got any idea what the dish would be commemoratingStruggling to find the origins of this dish 026a10
Struggling to find the origins of this dish 026e10
Struggling to find the origins of this dish 026f10
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Struggling to find the origins of this dish Empty Re: Struggling to find the origins of this dish

Post by NaomiM April 22nd 2019, 5:44 pm

Looks like a commemorative piece, with portraits of King George V and Queen Mary. Maybe the date and place of a Royal Visit?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31577
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Struggling to find the origins of this dish Empty Re: Struggling to find the origins of this dish

Post by studio-pots April 22nd 2019, 6:11 pm

George and Mary's coronation took place at Westminster Abbey on 22 June 1911. Later in 1911, the King and Queen travelled to India for the Delhi Durbar, where they were presented to an assembled audience of Indian dignitaries and princes as the Emperor and Empress of India on 12 December 1911. George wore the newly created Imperial Crown of India at the ceremony, and declared the shifting of the Indian capital from Calcutta to Delhi.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geraintwoolford April 22nd 2019, 6:30 pm

Thank You very much for your kind assistance. I had recognized King George, but would never have guessed that the other image was Queen Mary.
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum