Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder?

+2
tenpot
hubsnbubs
6 posters

Go down

Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? Empty Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder?

Post by hubsnbubs August 11th 2018, 5:08 pm

Hello All,

My wife and I recently discovered (and fell in love with) this very lovely unusual pig, but are struggling to find anything like it and would love some help with our research if anyone has any ideas?

It measures just over 8" tall and is a somewhat sly looking painted bisque pig with collar and apron brandishing a knife! He has a 1 1/4" diameter x 1 1/4" deep hole in the top of his head- slightly snug but plausible as a candlestick or otherwise an oversized match holder? Or of course something we aren't thinking of? It has a registered number the back (3822) but no other marks as far as we can see.

Here are some pictures..

Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? P111
Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? P711
Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? P810
Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? P1010
Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? P1110

Thanks all if anyone has any ideas,

Chris & Ali
hubsnbubs
hubsnbubs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-02-29

Back to top Go down

Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? Empty Re: Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder?

Post by tenpot August 11th 2018, 5:42 pm

looks as if its out of a butchers shop
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder? Empty Re: Unusual Old Bisque Black Pig with Knife Candlestick / Match holder?

Post by NaomiM August 11th 2018, 8:13 pm

Just a guess but maybe Bretby or one of the gerrman manufacturers? Art Deco period?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31474
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay August 12th 2018, 1:56 pm

I'd suggest that it is perhaps German or Bohemian, early 1900s, and more likely a liqueur bottle, in the style of Vater & Sohne.

I find it a bit creepy. Perhaps George Orwell was inspired by one?!
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 12th 2018, 3:00 pm

I also think Continental, Edwardian, but it is slipcast and has a hole in the bottom as well as the top, so not bottle.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hubsnbubs August 12th 2018, 4:53 pm

Thanks all for your thoughts- we thought probably German too but other than Schafer & Vater don't know of any other makers by name. I would like it to be Butchers piece though why there would be the hole in his head I don't know (the head hole has a base about 1" down much like a candlestick, but its a bit snug in width for todays candles)- the mystery continues.
Any thoughts are as always appreciated!
hubsnbubs
hubsnbubs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay August 12th 2018, 5:43 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:I also think Continental, Edwardian, but it is slipcast and has a hole in the bottom as well as the top, so not bottle.

Haha, how did I miss the hole in the base?!
Essenjay
Essenjay

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 12th 2018, 7:24 pm

Too busy looking for the contents Simon!

Don't think it's Bretby, I would be thinking German/Austrian.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay August 13th 2018, 8:08 pm

[quote="denbydump"]Too busy looking for the contents Simon!

You taught me well, Jerry, you taught me well.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum