bistoboy
dantheman
tenpot
twenty21
Rob_C
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Empty Re: W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs).

Post by gareth-h October 18th 2012, 10:03 pm

I'm not a Moorcroft expert either but I do know the blue initials are Walter Moorcroft late 1940's / early 1950's.
gareth-h
gareth-h

Male Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-27

http://www.pooleroom.co.uk

Back to top Go down

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Empty Re: W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs).

Post by Oldmagpie April 14th 2013, 9:23 pm

1930's William Moorcroft Natural Pottery Vase

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 DSC_5721

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 DSC_5723

Impressed Moorcraft, signature and potter to HM the Queen

Moorcroft got the royal warrant in 1928 so it helps with dating.

Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Empty Id Request - Pair of Orange vases - Moorcroft

Post by Mordeep April 5th 2016, 7:40 pm

Hi all

Wanted to pick some brains on here. Got this pair of vases on Sunday. The have a great orange colour that to me is nicer than the uranium orange popular in Europe in the 1920's. I thought they could be from Japan due to the depth of one of the foots (the other is slightly shallower) but equally they could be from China. They have a imprinted dot on the base but I don't think that's an makers mark? The bit that is intriguing me is why they originally had the bases painted with a black treacle like substance. I looks like it was trying to simulate something else? It's a mystery to me. I am also unsure of age. So if we have any experts about on these I would be very happy for any info.

Cheers

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Img_2422
W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Img_2420
W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Img_2421
W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Img_2423
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2016, 10:56 pm

They both have a word stamped on the base, partially hidden by whatever that black stuff is on the base. If suggest trying to clean it up a bit more and and rephotograph them

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31543
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2016, 10:57 pm

Moorecroft?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 5th 2016, 11:04 pm

Pretty sure they are Moorcroft, they did a fair bit of these orange lustre pieces... can't say I'm a fan to be honest! Big Laughter

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 5th 2016, 11:22 pm

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Moorcr10

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep April 5th 2016, 11:31 pm

Going to need some thinner to dissolve the black fully but a bit of a scrub on one of them does reveal a word ending in croft. Think we have a winner Clap

As lustres go there ok.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2016, 11:38 pm

Lovely colour

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Empty Any info on Moorcroft Vase Appreciated

Post by Nodifer July 1st 2017, 5:02 pm

Large Moorcroft vase. Any info on this piece would be greatly appreciatedW. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 P1010913
W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 P1010914
Nodifer
Nodifer

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep July 2nd 2017, 4:34 am

Moorcroft can be dated pretty easily with a 30 second hunt on google for when certain marks got used. But even without that it looks to be a 1930's-1940's Moorcroft flambe vase. Moorcroft tried a lot of different styles over the last 110 years and this looks to be an attempt to keep in fashion with what was popular at that time.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Empty Large Moorcroft Vase

Post by Alex J May 13th 2019, 7:24 pm

Hi all
I just got this tubelined vase stands at 33cm high 15cm wide

It looks like the Hibiiscus pattern

The signature looks like Walter Moorcroft but there is no impressed marks ?
On investigation they all seemed to be impressed marks ?W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 M112
W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 M313

Can anyone help

Thanks
Alex J
Alex J

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2018-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2019, 8:22 pm

There’s a similar one in this colour palette dated 1990. The colour looks a bit washed out. I don’t know if that implies a glaze test or a fake.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex J May 13th 2019, 10:20 pm

NaomiM wrote:There’s a similar one in this colour palette dated 1990. The colour looks a bit washed out. I don’t know if that implies a glaze test or a fake.

Thanks Naomi

The glaze is still bright ( My photos gives it that look ) Phone Camera not great

Do you know if this range date cam without the Made in England inpression ?

As always thank you for your help
Alex J
Alex J

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2019, 11:18 pm

Sorry I dont know. I’ve just searched on Moorcroft hibiscus and the 1990 one was fully stamped.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 14th 2019, 7:50 am

The rim of that base. It looks quite rough and unfinished. Have you had a look at the standard Moorcroft book? This type of squiggle printed signature only ever seems to have been used twice,and the only one thst looks like this mark is one used in the early 1980's, but which also came with a stamp to indicate number of pieces produced and year. The only vases it was used on were the 9.5 in and 14 in ones.
Moorcroft collectors are very choosy. Probably the only way to could get a Defining opinion on this one, is from them.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6432
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex J May 14th 2019, 10:55 am

philpot wrote:The rim of that base. It looks quite rough and unfinished. Have you had a look at the standard Moorcroft book? This type of squiggle printed signature only ever seems to have been used twice,and the only one thst looks like this mark is one used in the early 1980's, but which also came with a stamp to indicate number of pieces produced and year. The only vases it was used on  were the 9.5 in and 14 in ones.
                  Moorcroft collectors are very choosy. Probably the only way to could get a Defining opinion on this one, is from them.

Thank you for your help :)
Alex J
Alex J

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep May 18th 2019, 11:30 am

I think it is probably not right. It's a famous pattern and Moorcroft has been faked heavily. Most of the suspect ones I have seen recently are in the Pomegranate design but I have also seen several in other designs with the brush stroke signature and dated 1912/1913/1914.

In the end it won't matter. There is no signature on yours just a hint of one. Most collectors won't buy on that alone. To advertise your going to have to put in the style of. If your looking to move it on that is. On the plus side the design is popular and there are lots about if you want another one.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad May 19th 2019, 9:59 am

Looks absolutely fine to me, though not one of the most sought after designs. I can make out the impressed Moorcroft stamp, very feint, which is completely normal, along with Walters hand painted mark. Nothing fake about this at all.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad May 19th 2019, 10:01 am

And the impressed stamp is at 5 o clock as you look at the base.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad May 19th 2019, 10:08 am

W. Moorcroft Ltd. Burslem (Staffs). - Page 2 Dsc09110

The Moorcroft impressed mark is often difficult to spot, more so when there is little or no colour to highlight it.
I believe that the Walter Moorcroft piece you own is from the 1970's. 1980's
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad May 20th 2019, 7:02 pm

Sorry, 1980's, not the 70's as I previously said.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump May 21st 2019, 5:18 pm

abstract toad wrote:And the impressed stamp is at 5 o clock as you look at the base.

Yes agreed, the impressed Moorcroft marks can be very difficult to make out without a glass, But it's there.
Why the signature is so slapdash, who knows?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7226
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad May 22nd 2019, 8:38 am

He may have been in a state of apathy when signing it Laughter

Joking asides, we have had some really washed out looking signatures on a fair few pieces, but nothing abnormal about it.

abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep May 28th 2019, 4:23 am

abstract toad wrote:Looks absolutely fine to me, though not one of the most sought after designs. I can make out the impressed Moorcroft stamp, very feint, which is completely normal, along with Walters hand painted mark. Nothing fake about this at all.

Didn't see the stamp. Just the half a signature. Changes eveything
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum