Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ?

3 posters

Go down

Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ? Empty Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ?

Post by brin mcardle May 21st 2018, 5:44 pm

Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ? Copied53
Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ? Copied52

I think its Lovely...do we think Scandinavian/German...all advice appreciated
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ? Empty Re: Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ?

Post by NaomiM May 21st 2018, 6:25 pm

Very nice Most Excellent
I’m guessing Continental

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ? Empty Re: Any ideas...lovely Madonna and child..PV Mark..Scandinavian ?

Post by debbie23g May 22nd 2018, 8:07 am

P.V. both handwritten and impressed, can be peasant village - mainly Italian wares.
debbie23g
debbie23g

Female Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle May 22nd 2018, 11:38 am

Thanks debbie,,,i think its beautifully done
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle May 22nd 2018, 11:54 am

As a question...why would an Italian mark something P.V. for a peasant village piece..as that wouldnt be the initials for these Italian words ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 22nd 2018, 1:46 pm

It's possible. They did use a PV mark. But I've only seen it handwritten along with Italy and a number.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie23g May 26th 2018, 5:04 pm

There are two types of PV marks-one written and another either impressed into the clay or printed with PV in a circle (although this one is in a square - it does have an Italian feel to it). I am now of the opinion that either mark refers to 'Peasant Village'. This was a line created for, and imported by, Mittledorfer Strauss of New York. Peasant Village pieces were made in several countries, including France, Italy, and even the U.S.

Mittledofer used the PV logo beginning in 1928 and I believe they continued to use it through the 1960's. The parent company, Mittledorfer Strauss, remained active into the 1970's.

There is no way to tell which specific factory made these pieces as the customer, (the importer in this case) refused to allow any company names or logos to be used except their own.

(copied from the internet - where there are several similar references)

.......and it is a very, very lovely thing Brin.
debbie23g
debbie23g

Female Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle May 26th 2018, 5:20 pm

Thanks Debbie
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum