Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature

5 posters

Go down

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature Empty Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature

Post by MCWebs March 8th 2018, 5:58 pm

I bought this thinking it could have been a Derek Davis piece (saw a similar example on ebay) - but on closer inspection i dont think the base matches up - bit of a long shot but does anybody have any ideas..

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature P1090120

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature P1090121

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature P1090122

Could be a head scratcher this one!!! Shrugs
MCWebs
MCWebs

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2017-09-24

Back to top Go down

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature Empty Re: Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature

Post by philpot March 8th 2018, 6:41 pm

Looks a bit like Derek Davis, and you could possibly read it as that. His normal signature is a clear painted Davis signature in black
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6432
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature Empty Re: Part Flambe Bottle - Really Tricky Signature

Post by MCWebs March 8th 2018, 7:39 pm

yeah, i had the similar feeling when i saw it online but up close, i dont know it just feels a bit too smooth and crisp to be his, doesnt have the ruggedness - maybe i'm over analysing geek
MCWebs
MCWebs

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 8th 2018, 7:44 pm

No I thought exactly the same thing

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 8th 2018, 9:25 pm

Its gotta be really. That narrow top. the sort of mixed up reddish glaze blending into the speckled brown. Its classic Davis. And I collect him. Have got about half a dozen pieces now. Used to live in Southampton, and you used to see this type of piece in Ford Boot sale and the Midday Chichester one. Which is not surprising, as he lived in Arundel for yonks. It is just really that signature and that may be a glazing issue.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 8th 2018, 9:29 pm

Dan~s and mine are in this thread. Just compare how similar the red glaze is.https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t4298-derek-davis?highlight=derek+davis
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 8th 2018, 9:50 pm

I just don't see it, even the clay looks wrong

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MCWebs March 8th 2018, 10:18 pm

Really appreciate both of your thoughts - I've learned something new - didnt realize he had more than one signature.. I've 2 pieces of his already both with just the Davis signature.. So many many thanks.

Last edited by MCWebs on March 8th 2018, 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
MCWebs
MCWebs

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 9th 2018, 12:22 am

Signature might be the other way up - Vis...ary ?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31541
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty March 9th 2018, 1:30 am

Looks wrong for Derek Davis to me too sorry As it's stoneware I would have expected the foot to be unglazed if it was Davis too.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum