Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base

3 posters

Go down

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Empty Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base

Post by Hierocles November 30th 2017, 6:46 pm

I have this impressive pair of hand-hammered copper ARTS & CRAFTS CANDLESTICK HOLDERS made of two curled, flat copper bands riveted together in the center and then rivet-mounted to the top of the large, thick flat copper base (10" long x 3" wide). Each of the flat textured copper 'curls' supports a 2-inch high x 1 3/8-inch diameter flared bobeche candle holder which is soldered to the piece.

The entire copper candelabra fixture stands approximately 6 " high and is riveted at the four corners to a 12" long x 5" wide x 3/4" high walnut wood base. One base is bare on the bottom and the other still has brown felt. I have found no marks on these. Like many of the things I post, these were purchased at auction about 30 years ago. I am hoping to determine if these are actual Arts and Crafts era candlestick holders or if they were produced a bit later than that period. Any information would be most appreciated.

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a10
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a12
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a11
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a13
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a15
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a14
Hierocles
Hierocles

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Empty Re: Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base

Post by denbydump December 1st 2017, 12:20 am

Arts and crafts in style certainly. The wooden bases look slightly incongruous,
maybe added for stability? Might be worth removing one to see if there's a
metal mark underneath.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Empty Re: Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base

Post by dantheman December 1st 2017, 10:03 am

I agree the bases look terrible but I love the metalwork

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Empty Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base

Post by Hierocles December 1st 2017, 4:28 pm

Greetings and thanks for your comments. The copper candlestick holders are riveted and not screwed to the wooden base so there is no way that I could remove it to see if there is a signature on the bottom.
Hierocles
Hierocles

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 1st 2017, 7:05 pm

OOps , you can't rivet into wood. Maybe just nails, get the chisel out,
lift it off, you can always re-affix it with no damage.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hierocles December 1st 2017, 10:19 pm

Here is a photo taken from the top to show where the domed copper rivet goes into the corner of the candleholder base and then some shots of the bottom of the uncovered candlestick holder. I'm not sure how easy this would be to remove without damaging the candleholder or the wood base.

Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Arts_a16
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Dsc03510
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Dsc03512
Pair of 3 Arm Hammered Copper Arts & Crafts? Candle Holders on Wood Base Dsc03511
Hierocles
Hierocles

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 2nd 2017, 7:41 pm

Apologies, they are proper rivtets!
That may point to the wooden bases being original.
Difficult to ID now.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum