Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat Emptor indeed!

5 posters

Go down

Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat  Emptor indeed! Empty Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat Emptor indeed!

Post by philpot Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 am

So, do they think we are STUPID?
In casual browsing this morning, as Ebay seems to have a special deal on for sellers, and there is a lot more interesting stuff on. But...Just a few examples.
A £550 Janet Leach piece described as EXCELLENT. But in the detailed description. It has several bloats., moreover the base is malformed and it rocks on standing. That is a Second by any standard!
A John Bedding piece listed as St Ives, but does not have the St Ives mark. The seller spins the yarn that John Bedding did not use the St Ives mark when he was at St Ives, on the personal request of Janet Leach. Blatant untruth.
So many items wildly overpriced. Everybody seems to think they buy from a top gallery like GoldmarK, and still make a profit on Ebay.
The Wild West is back! Laughter Laughter

philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6393
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat  Emptor indeed! Empty Re: Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat Emptor indeed!

Post by Mordeep Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 pm

The wild west never left. Ebay has always been full of fakes, mistakes, lies and fraud. People think they cover themselves by listing rumours as fact and quoting statements like the "pictures form part of the description" to excuse not listing damage.

The fact is if it is not what you want or your unhappy send it back. You will get your money back and if your listing thinking your going to get away with something then you deserve to have the your items returned.

I buy a lot on ebay these days and don't list very much. I rarely get mistakes or issues. But then I tend to buy under priced perfect items incorrectly listed, ebay is full of them also. You just have to hunt.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat  Emptor indeed! Empty Re: Is Ebay getting worse for buying? Caveat Emptor indeed!

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

I hate the "see photos for condition" because the resolution simply isn't good enough to show hairlines and nibbles, especially on glass. I've stopped buying glass via eBay because of that.
As for the sellers listing unidentified studio pottery for £95 and similar, grrrr!

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31472
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Ha ha, the Early John Bedding Coffee Pot or Water jug... missing it's lid!
- Do us all a favour and Throw It Away!!
It's by John Bedding when he had his pottery at Cross Street, Penzance. Not while at St Ives.

Last edited by NaomiM on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 pm

The 'John Bedding' plate with the fish and w mark is actually by John Dan

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Ha ha, yes them. Totally overblown prices on all their stuff, and I've messaged them before about miss-attributions. They are the 1stdibs of the eBay world.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Oh, it seems the comment I was replying to has been removed.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:14 pm

1st sign of madness Naomi

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:24 pm

I enjoy ebay...dont buy much..enjoy the fun of selling(but dont sell much)..but its fun Clap
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum