Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Empty Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please

Post by seandux Thu May 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi. Nope someone can help. Recently found this vase in the West of Yorkshire and despite there being a clear mark on the side I've not been able to id the maker. It measures 13.5 cm tall x 8 cm in diameter (roughly as its more oval in shape rather than circular) and weighs about 550 gm. The decoration appears to be a thick gloss and matt glaze roughly applied allowing quite large areas of unglazed material to show through. There is a clear mark on the side (GB in a circle) but nothing else. The base was covered in a white soft plastic to protect it from scratching - I've removed most of this but as you can see from the image of the base not all yet and there is some residue of the glue(?) used to attach it. Any help much appreciated.

FULL VIEW

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Studio%201%20small_zpsota3wlaa

MARK

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Studio%202%20small_zpsjtxkjlrw

TOP VIEW

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Studio%204%20small_zps4m2n1dfa

BASE VIEW

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Studio%203%20small_zpsnfgf7qh0
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Empty Re: Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please

Post by NaomiM Thu May 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm not finding it in the Marks book. The decoration is similar to that of Graham Glynn, Skipton, but it's not his mark and I'm not sure this vase is wheel thrown. A professional potter would have finished the base a bit better so it didn't need a protective covering. Alternatively it may have been brought home from abroad.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31541
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please Empty Re: Can anyone ID this studio pottery vase please

Post by seandux Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 am

I can feel finger marks on the inside of the vase as though it has been thrown but looking more closely the top has not been cut straight. - Graham's ceramics look much better quality - much cleaner - maybe a amateur/student influenced by him?
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum