Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy

3 posters

Go down

Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Empty Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy

Post by Johners2000 April 12th 2017, 5:50 pm

I think this is a candleholder but not sure - the texture reminds me of Bristow Pottery but there are no marks.

Looking at the texture I'm wondering if they are Pieter Groeneveld

http://www.19west-ceramics.de/en/products/two-cup-vases-pieter-groeneveld

Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Img_1639
Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Img_1640
Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Img_1641
Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Img_1642
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Empty Re: Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy

Post by NaomiM April 12th 2017, 8:19 pm

I have several of these in various sizes. None marked, and slipcast. It seems they were Asian copies of Pieter's pieces

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy Empty Re: Candle holder. Pieter Groeneveldt? poss. Dutch Lore Keramik or Asian copy

Post by Johners2000 April 12th 2017, 10:14 pm

I contacted an expert in Holland, Robbert de Vries, who along with a chap named Olivier Nieuwenhuyse are running a website dedicated to the work and memory of Pieter Groeneveldt.

I sent them pictures of my vase and asked them what it was - this is the response:

This is certainly a Dutch vase. Made in the 1960's. And in the PG traverin manner.
But, it is not a Groeneveldt, unfortunately.

Although it has (almost!) the right surface and (almost!) a PG shape it is made by
another (small...) factory.
Directly after Groeneveldt introduced this ceramic group (or line) others, like Loré
and some others, copied this surface.
PG made this specific surface decoration by hand (from appr. 1958); the other
factories used moulds for a similar effect. The surface wasn't scraped off to let the
hard lumps in the clay to do the work.
In 1960 at a National Fair Groeneveldt was furious when he saw this kind of copied
ceramics.

Your vase is one of those followers-uppers, unfortunately.
But still interesting because of the story behind it. And certainly to be dated between 1960 and 1970.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 13th 2017, 12:49 am

Very interesting. Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 13th 2017, 10:59 am

we should have a top tips thread for info like that

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15426
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum