J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector

3 posters

Go down

J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Empty J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector

Post by alexus May 1st 2016, 3:21 pm

hello i am new to the collecting world. After the passing of my aunt last year i was given a lot of her possession and that's when i began to have an interest in antiques. Any way i am a rookie in this antique world and just want help on the following item.  I like this piece alot and my research tells me that it seems to be from Carstens/Uffrecht, probably in 1940 range. Anyway, can someone give some info on origin and possible value. Intrigued by the red sign that seems to be the initial of the potter, i think?

thanks a million times,J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Img_0113
J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Img_0112
J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Img_0110
J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Img_0111

Last edited by studio-pots on May 1st 2016, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Not positively identified)
alexus
alexus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-04-30

Back to top Go down

J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Empty Re: J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector

Post by NaomiM May 1st 2016, 4:13 pm

My first thought was it looks like the N and crown for Capodimonte but might be Uffrecht porcelain or Potschappel, Saxony

J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Image164

Nice quality. There have been later copies from the Far East but this looks genuine . Red squiggle could be painter's mark.

We don't give valuations. Best to check out Completed & Sold Listings on eBay to give you an idea of what it's worth

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Empty Re: J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2016, 6:00 pm

My thoughts are that it might come from the factory in Doccia, Italy that was started by Carlo Ginori in 1737. It has been taken over a number of times since then and expanded and still operates.

In the 19th century they bought moulds and models from Capo di Monte and were allowed to use the crowned N mark on these reproductions.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2016, 6:06 pm

I agree with Naomi that the red squiggle is the painter's mark, which is really for quality control/output notification within the factory.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

J. Uffrecht & Co ? any help for a rookie collector Empty thank you so much

Post by alexus May 2nd 2016, 12:53 am

thanks a million for your reply. Are you able to put an estimate on the age of the piece?
thanks
alexus
alexus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 2nd 2016, 9:08 am

Unless the marks on any piece of pottery are of help or the style, it is very difficult if not impossible to tell the age of a piece from a photograph. Much easier if you can touch and hold it, so, although you might be new to pottery, you are in a position to be the best judge of that.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum