Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark

3 posters

Go down

Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Empty Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark

Post by ssul April 17th 2016, 4:19 pm

Hi, I'm trying to identify the maker of this piece of pottery which I recently purchased. I've searched and searched online and don't seem to be able to find it, which makes me think it's rare and possibly a little known maker. Hopefully someone will recognise it and be able to identify it. Thanks in advance.

Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2011Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2012Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2013Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2014Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2015
ssul
ssul

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-04-17

Back to top Go down

Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Empty Re: Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark

Post by studio-pots April 17th 2016, 5:09 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, you are correct in saying that it is stoneware but it isn't salt-glazed.

Are there dots either side of the S and is it rather heavy for the size or not?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Empty Re: Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark

Post by ssul April 17th 2016, 5:27 pm

Ahh it isn't salt glazed, thanks for putting me right there. At first I didn't notice them, but it does appear to have a faint dot either side of the S, and yes it is heavy.

Salt Glazed Stoneware, Studio Pottery Bottle - Unknown S Mark Img_2016
ssul
ssul

Back to top Go down

Post by ssul April 17th 2016, 5:31 pm

And thank you for the welcome. It's good to have a place where there are people with a much greater level of expertise than me from whom I can learn, and who are willing to share there knowledge. Thanks.
ssul
ssul

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 17th 2016, 5:42 pm

Jack Kenny uses a mark that is a S with dots either side, which stands for Seasalter where his pottery is situation. However, I'm sure that it isn't his work, as it looks like nothing that I've seen by him. It also looks to have some age and, as you confirmed that it is heavy, I wonder if it is coiled or moulded rather than thrown. The flat base suggested that possibility to me.

However, having checked various possibilities, I'm nowhere nearer coming to an identification, I'm afraid.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by ssul April 17th 2016, 6:00 pm

It's very uneven and there's faint horizontal lines about 1.5 inches apart in a couple of places on the body, so I would guess it is coiled. I will check out Jack Kennys work, thanks for the info. It is a difficult one to identify because it's tricky to even determine the age without knowing the makers mark. Hopefully someone else may recognise it. Thank you for your help it's much appreciated.
ssul
ssul

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 17th 2016, 6:37 pm

Looking at the base I would suspect that it is 1960s or earlier. Let's hope someone else might be able to add something.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 17th 2016, 7:30 pm

I'm wondering if Eric and Meira Stockl ever used a sprigged mark.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3672
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum