Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Empty Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery

Post by seandux March 12th 2016, 3:28 pm

Hi All.  Hope someone can help.  I've just found these two small bowls / pots in West Yorkshire but cannot find any reference to the maker.  Each item is marked on the base A.M. and a date - I assume the date of making.  They're finished with a high gloss glaze which give an almost metallic finish.  The larger of the two measures 8 cms x 12 cms (h x w at the widest part) and weighs almost 450 gms.  The smaller measures 6.5 cms x 9 cms (h x w at the widest part) and weighs about 260 gms.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Both Bowls

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery AM_1_zpsqhqi3njn

Larger Bowl - Side View

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Am_4_zpswwt3rdee

Larger Bowl Mark

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Am_5_zpslng5qlxb

Smaller Bowl - Side View

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Am_2_zpsyyznvjbj

Smaller Bowl Mark

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Am_3_zpsm3gygcsz
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Empty Re: Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery

Post by NaomiM March 12th 2016, 4:19 pm

That style of marking is usually typical of a student potter. A professional throwing several dozen pots a day is not going to have the time to sign them all before the clay dries, and they'd have no need to date them.
But, saying that, there is a convention in the US and Australia of signing and dating pots, so possibly a holiday purchase but then you'd expect them to date from the same time rather than a year apart, so on balance I'd say a hobby potter

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31474
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery Empty Re: Can anyone id this 1960's Studio Pottery

Post by seandux March 13th 2016, 9:30 am

I wondered if that might be the case. I suppose I was hoping that whoever made it went on to be a professional and someone might have an idea who MA could have been
seandux
seandux

Back to top Go down

Post by seandux March 13th 2016, 9:30 am

Or AM even (it's Sunday - I've got early morning finger trouble)
seandux
seandux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum