Studio bowl, WVC mark - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery

4 posters

Go down

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Empty Studio bowl, WVC mark - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery

Post by Mordeep October 15th 2015, 10:40 am

Hi all

Here we have a very nicely potted studio bowl with a signature that I take to be WVC or WWC? Anyone seen this work before?

Thanks

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Img_2122
Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Img_2123
Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Img_2124
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Empty Re: Studio bowl, WVC mark - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery

Post by NaomiM October 15th 2015, 10:46 am

I think it's Wally Cole's mark, Rye Pottery

More pieces by Wally Cole

Couple of Wally Cole pin dishes

From studiopottery.com Rye Pottery page:

After the war the premises were bought by two young sculptors - the brothers Wally and Jack Cole, who renamed the company 'Rye Pottery'. They moved away from the traditional designs and produced high quality majolica in the styles of the fifties. They trained many apprentices, and most of them eventually left to set up their own potteries in Rye. At one time there were no less than eight individual potteries in the tiny town, making it an important centre for the trade.
One of those apprentices [was] David Sharp (b1932-d1993)

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Dscn8910

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Dscn8911

Last edited by NaomiM on May 2nd 2020, 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Empty Re: Studio bowl, WVC mark - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery

Post by Mordeep October 15th 2015, 11:00 am

Great ID NoamiM, very happy.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 15th 2015, 12:30 pm

I suppose it's important to say that seeing a mark like this your first thought should probably be "hobby potter" but that isn't always the case.

Wally did it this way. I met him a few times just before his death and he was a lovely man.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep October 15th 2015, 2:16 pm

I'm getting pretty good at spotting hobby potters with the amount of stuff I have been filtering through the last few months. Not sure how I heard about it but the weight is often a give away even before looking for a mark. Hobby potters always seem to make things weigh a ton for their size. I have also started recognising the skill it takes to make some of the flourishes you see on studio. That's why I thought this bowl was good, it feels great in the hand. I can't think of a better compliment to a potter than to praise the quality of what they made. Seems like Wally left a pretty big legacy in that regard.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon September 22nd 2022, 2:22 pm

Little dish, 12cm across, with sgraffito design of a dove of peace, morphing perhaps into a glove of peace.

Surprised to find this mark underneath.

A rather more conventional dove:
https://auctions.specialauctionservices.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/95/lot/48909?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F95%3Fpage%3D9

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Wvc10

Studio bowl, WVC mark  - Wally Cole, Rye Pottery Dscf8310
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum