Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures.

3 posters

Go down

Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Empty Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures.

Post by stardust* August 25th 2015, 8:43 am

6 inches wide with very faint stamp on the base and a B5 or 54 incised. Looks like an ashtray with fighting figures round the side. I picked it up from a bargain box, thinking it looked like majolica (italian?) but I'm getting nowhere with research. Please could anyone offer a place to start?

Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Img_0715
Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Img_0716
Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Img_0717
Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Img_0718
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Empty Re: Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures.

Post by Mordeep August 25th 2015, 9:56 am

I have seen several like this in the past. I have even got a planter in my hallway with a very similar combination of glazed figures and matt surfaces marked Saiga. Surprisingly it's a style of pottery from Vietnam. They are very big on exporting it all over the world and I think that is what you have.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures. Empty Re: Majolica ashtray? Flowers with fighting figures.

Post by NaomiM August 25th 2015, 10:43 am

Agreed. Dona Ceramics, Saigon. The black ink stamp can be very faint and tends to wash off.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* August 25th 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks for your replies, it's great having a group who can help. Didn't expect it to be Vietnamese at all.
Thanks again.
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum