Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese

2 posters

Go down

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Empty Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese

Post by mikelv85 March 19th 2014, 10:09 am

Found this really great sculpture made of some kind of material and weighing in at a couple of pounds. Measuring 10" x7 " it's rather thin suggesting it may have started out as a 2" thick slab. The back side is a bit flat as well. It's suffered a bit of damage but it still looks beautiful. One of the horses is broken off at the very top which isn't really that obvious until you turn it around. You then can see the remains of a tail on the last horse's flank. A bit of rear leg is also missing on the bottom horse. I was told by the cashier that someone passed on it earlier because it was too damaged and expensive. Oh well their loss...I'll take it ! Not sure what it's made out of. I know for sure it isn't a composite or resin. It has a variety of colors in it. Bits of red, gold, and white but mostly a gray green color. It does appear to be somewhat transparent. It could be nephrite. jade or even something that's not really expensive, but I love it. -Mike-

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Jadite10

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Jadite11

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Jadite12

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Jadite13

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Jadite14
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Empty Re: Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese

Post by NaomiM March 19th 2014, 12:48 pm

I suspect it's made from 3 sections that have been glued together. It looks Chinese, or made in Indonesia. They like horses (drawings, porcelain & sculpture) and it looks the right colour for an impure jade or soapstone. If it scratches easily it's more likely to be soapstone than jade.

If its soapstone there's a small chance its native American or Canadian, but the styling looks more like that of a Far Eastern maker.

I doubt it's very old. Latter half of the 20th Century to contemporary in date.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31552
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese Empty Re: Stampeding Horses Sculpture / Jade or Nephrite? - modern Chinese

Post by mikelv85 March 19th 2014, 3:20 pm

Thank you Naomi, I didn't think that it was very old either. The stone is pretty hard and dense. I can't scratch it with my fingernail so I don't think it's soapstone. I'd lean more toward the impure jade because of the streaks of color and the heaviness. -Mike-
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum