Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes

2 posters

Go down

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Empty Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes

Post by mikelv85 February 10th 2014, 11:05 am

Here's another mystery,
I've had this for a while and have never been able to get any information abut it. It looks like majolica or maybe some kind of American art pottery. I've even been told it's probably "pottery barn" and is new and of Asian origin. I really don't know. It looks old to me especially the bottom and the body is finely crazed. The design has what looks like pears with grapes on a lattice background with leaves, but they look more like Asian pears to me. It's large 12" x 9" diameter and weighs about 2-3 lbs. Any ideas ? Thanks -Mike-

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Green_10

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Green_11

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Green_13

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Green_12
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Empty Re: Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes

Post by NaomiM February 10th 2014, 11:29 am

Fine crazing isn't necessarily a sign of age. It can be the result of a thin glaze and poor firing. The 'dirt' on the base is more likely to be soot from the firing. If the last photo is of the inside then it's too clean and indicates a modern manufacture. The decoration looks French but it could be Asian. Pottery Barn is a distinct possibility.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes Empty Re: Large Green Bas Relief Vase with Latice and Grapes

Post by mikelv85 February 10th 2014, 1:03 pm

Oh well this was something I bought early on in my collecting when crazing and the worn dirty bottoms made me think "old". I've seen some of the new pieces from China that have the same characteristics. So I know it's not a hard fast rule, but I like it for what it is. Thanks again -Mike-
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 10th 2014, 3:01 pm

but I like it for what it is

That's all that counts.  Happy 

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum