vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main

5 posters

Go down

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Empty vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main

Post by user9318 January 11th 2014, 7:29 pm

I have had this beaker shaped pottery vase for quite a while, which I have been unable to identify where it is from and who made it or even how old it is, regardless of previous searches and I am asking here for help please.

Is is painted with figures, horse and a deer and there is some writing on the base looks like DELOR or DECOR  AD

It is 7¾" tall 5 5/8" diameter at the top 3¾" base diameter

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Vase_014

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Vase_011

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Vase_012

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Vase_013
user9318
user9318

Female Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Empty Re: vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main

Post by NaomiM January 11th 2014, 8:52 pm

I suspect the base says Decor Main. It's decorated with cave paintings, so my guess it's a tourist piece from Lascaux in France.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31594
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main Empty Re: vase painted with figures, horse and deer, lascaux caves style decor main

Post by user9318 January 11th 2014, 8:59 pm

Thank you NaomiM for your help.
user9318
user9318

Back to top Go down

Post by styleinvasion January 11th 2014, 9:32 pm

as far as i know there has been some lascaux inspired pottery workshops in vallauris
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware January 11th 2014, 10:01 pm

Another option is Italy, the signature below the deer looks like it a bit. Many Italian potteries decorated their pieces with deer, horses etc. However the French clue sounds more realistic here.
Redware
Redware

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 January 11th 2014, 11:41 pm

Thank you both styleinvasion and redware for your input, I will spend some time tomorrow searching all suggestions and see if I can find a match or near match.
user9318
user9318

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot January 12th 2014, 4:00 pm

its is french there are quite a lot of french potters that used cave painting themes triay is one of the most known
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 January 12th 2014, 4:24 pm

Thank you Tenpot, just in the middle of searching for this vase now on google, will search for triay also.
user9318
user9318

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum