Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton

4 posters

Go down

Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton Empty Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton

Post by Dannd Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 am

Hello!

I initially thought it was some student paint job on a general blank but after analyzing the bottom it seems to be something a bit more. Unfortunately I've literally drawn a blank on any more information concerning this vase. Its marked 1523 (design code?) MADE IN ENGLAND and impressed with a 234 (shape code?). Has anyone seen anything like this type of pottery before? Thank you for your time!

Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton 23uq1ye
Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton 1zewltd
Dannd
Dannd

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton Empty Re: Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton

Post by NaomiM Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 am

We've had something like this before; a jug, I think. Radford, maybe?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton Empty Re: Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton

Post by studio-pots Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:17 am

I think that it comes from one of the many factories in the Potteries during the 1930s that were producing wares based on popular themes of the time but for the cheaper end of the market. They tended to use a inexpensive clay body and not re-fire after decorating.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:28 am

Someone posted a vase or jug a while back that had been over painted, and wanted advice on removing the paint. I'm fairly sure it was a similar date and make to this one.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you both for your help as always! The "MADE IN ENGLAND" part is painted with the same gold paint that the rims/decoration is done in so Im assuming this was the factory state as it was originally sold although its hard to tell as there is a large chip on the foot rim which has been repainted over with the exact tone of gold.
Dannd
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:58 pm

NaomiM wrote:Someone posted a vase or jug a while back that had been over painted, and wanted advice on removing the paint. I'm fairly sure it was a similar date and make to this one.
I think you meant my wadenheath jug https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t10988-55-in-diamond-mark-please-help-with-id  Naomi but I that impressed number looks a bit different. The date would be about right though.
Redware
Redware

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Yes, Thanks Redware. I wondered if any of the wrong attributions might apply to this vase.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Not sure but i would go with studio-pots, the decoration is probably original but not re fired so rubbed off eventually. I have one piece that is decorated in similar way, i.e the painting seems to be rubbing off  Brentleigh? English Vase - possibly Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton 693037947_o
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Redware, whats the origin/date of your piece? I can definitely see some similarities. Does it have impression marks on the bottom as mine? (PS I love the shape of your piece!) Thank you all for your input!
Dannd
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I haven't been able to identify my piece yet :) I'll post a new thread tonight so we both may learn that.
I would think that both pieces are of similar age, 1930s.
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:59 pm

It's funny how researching one piece of pottery leads to the ID of another you've be stuck with! After looking at the link you provided Redware to your example of Wade heath I did a little search for vases and came across quite a few with very similar designs/impressed number marks on the bottom.

As I was looking this up, I came across a vase in my search that matched my other one I was looking for an ID for and I believe it's a Ditmar Urbach piece.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t13216-blue-vase-stoneware

Thank you all for your help! This board is definitely a very constructive learning environment.
Dannd
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Regarding your "Strange English Vase" I have left the following on Redware's thread for his vase above, which is relevant to your vase as well: -

One such company that made this type of product was Howard Pottery Ltd of Shelton, who used the trade name Brentleigh Ware. This was impressed on the base with Made in England as well but I would not be surprised if they didn't produce the same product unmarked (except for England, which was legally require if exported) for wholesalers.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum