ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED

2 posters

Go down

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Empty ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED

Post by VeryGreennkeen October 21st 2013, 9:08 pm

Hi all, thank you for taking time to look.
I know this isn't 20thC but have run out of ideas on research. All comments appreciated.
Very large earthenware pot painted by Nouveau artist Belet.. probably Emile but there were a few that worked at Sevres porcelain works.
The thing i am struggling with is the mark on base of pot. My knowledge of studio pot marks is nill. So as for French pot marks !!
I guess it could just be a pot made by the artist in own studio but would love to be able to find out more info on the pottery if possible.
Regards Scott

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase001

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase008

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase005

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase002

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase007

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Beletvase006
VeryGreennkeen
VeryGreennkeen

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Empty Re: ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED

Post by NaomiM October 21st 2013, 9:41 pm

Nicely painted. Signed Belet, who appears to have painted pottery and brass objects in the 19th Century in France.
You'll find another of his pieces if you  google "19th Century French Enamel on Brass Vase Signed Belet"

A number of painters used such pieces (bought in blanks) to advertise their services in the hope of getting commissions from potteries &/or wealthy clients in the 19th Century; their wares being displayed in galleries in cities like London and Paris, and it looks as though this is the case here. The B is simply his monogram, rather than the pottery, and the number is how many of these decorated pots he'd done at that point in time for various clients.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31595
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED Empty Re: ANTIQUE FRENCH EARTHENWARE VASE.. ANY IDEA WHERE/ WHO POTTED

Post by VeryGreennkeen October 23rd 2013, 10:50 am

Hi Naomi, thanks for clarifying things for me. What you say makes perfect sense now.
I suspected this may be the case but you have help me to see what was clearly there all along.
Regards Scott
VeryGreennkeen
VeryGreennkeen

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum