14 different lamps

4 posters

Go down

14 different lamps Empty 14 different lamps

Post by midwestpicker January 10th 2013, 4:25 pm

I have these 14 lamps I cannot find a maker on. I have several others I'm going to my storage to get today. I've been rewiring all my lamps I've collected over the years this week. I'd like to have an idea if any are worth a considerable amount or not. Can you please help??? I have included only groupings to save on space. If you need closer up pictures please ask. Thanks for all your help.

14 different lamps 00910

14 different lamps 01011

14 different lamps 01110

14 different lamps 01210

14 different lamps 01310

14 different lamps 01410

14 different lamps 01510

14 different lamps 01610

midwestpicker
midwestpicker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

14 different lamps Empty Re: 14 different lamps

Post by dantheman January 10th 2013, 4:30 pm

probably best to post each lamp individually

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 10th 2013, 6:19 pm

You've got one made out of a shell casing that might be of interest to a collector of military items, but of the rest there are no obvious, quality, pieces. (eg, studio pottery, Murano, Tiffany, etc).
If they were in a thrift store I could see them selling for between $5-$15 but not much more. I doubt an antiques shop would be interested.

- but others might disagree.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31506
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 10th 2013, 8:40 pm

NaomiM wrote:You've got one made out of a shell casing that might be of interest to a collector of military items, but of the rest there are no obvious, quality, pieces. (eg, studio pottery, Murano, Tiffany, etc).
If they were in a thrift store I could see them selling for between $5-$15 but not much more. I doubt an antiques shop would be interested.

- but others might disagree.

No I totally agree, not to mention even if some of the older metal lamps might have some value the condition they are in means you would have to totally redo the metal/re-chrome/re-bronze to have them be worth anything, and that refinishing work would far surpass any market value they have.

Besides, I don't think the majority of the lamps fall into the the purview of this forum - at least half of them are very Victorian or edwardian in styling, something another forum may be of more help with. I might be mistaken since the 20th century encompasses alot of styles -- but 99% of what I've seen here encompasses a modern design influence.

MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 10th 2013, 8:49 pm

but 99% of what I've seen here encompasses a modern design influence.

I guess you could say that most of us collect what we know (ie, stuff made during our generation) rather than during our parents & grandparents generations. These lamps are very much from an older generation - 1900-30s. There are avid collectors of depression-era (1930s) pressed glass, though, so it might be worth uploading some pics of the glass lamps on the GlassMessages.com glass collector's website.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31506
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff January 10th 2013, 9:08 pm

NaomiM wrote:
but 99% of what I've seen here encompasses a modern design influence.

I guess you could say that most of us collect what we know (ie, stuff made during our generation) rather than during our parents & grandparents generations. These lamps are very much from an older generation - 1900-30s. There are avid collectors of depression-era (1930s) pressed glass, though, so it might be worth uploading some pics of the glass lamps on the GlassMessages.com glass collector's website.

Yes, that's why I had some confusion - it is the 20th century forum which would technically encompass those other styles from the 1900's to the 30's creations but it in my mind the "20th century" label denotes the modernist design influence. Many of the styles of the 00's and teens to the 30's reflect early design eras, while at the same time the deco and arts and crafts were going towards the modernist look.

Or even in the 1950's you had some American designers going for a "french colonial/ empire" look (which I HATE) but technically it would be 20th century design.

I agree that it would be a much better bet to go to forums that specialize in depression era antiques or the 1920's non-modern styles, than this forum. Sites like this seem a to match up: http://spglass.com/contents.html
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum