chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu

3 posters

Go down

chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu Empty chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu

Post by styleinvasion October 22nd 2012, 11:14 am

chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu P1200619         chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu P1200620          chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu P1200621          chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu P1200622
any ideas on origin and date?
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu Empty Re: chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu

Post by NaomiM October 22nd 2012, 12:21 pm

The tea bowl has a 4 character mark that includes one used in the Kangxi period (late 17th, early 18th Century). The saucer has a mix of characters.
It is rare to have characters on porcelain of that date unless it's the 6 character mark for the Emperor's porcelain, so I suspect it's an early 19th Century copy.
But there is a lot of this sort of porcelain out there being sold as Kangxi, so it's very difficult to be certain.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31594
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu Empty Re: chinese cup and saucer with faux-Kangxi reign mark - Guangxu

Post by Potty October 22nd 2012, 12:43 pm

Looks more like 20th century to me to be honest.

That said it seems ages since I had much to do with Chinese ceramics...

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3672
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 22nd 2012, 1:20 pm

There are fakes upon fakes upon fakes, and the Japanses were copying Chinese, so it's all a big muddle. Tbh, I'd be happier seeing a simple flower as the mark rather than something purporting to be dynastic characters, as that is more likely to be a period piece.
But there are collectors of 19th Century fakes of 18th century originals so *shrugs*
A shame the saucer's broken. Unfortunately the value drops dramatically if there's any damage.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31594
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by styleinvasion October 22nd 2012, 1:52 pm

keith jennings just answered me:
Hi! The cup has a Chinese four character reign mark of the Kangxi period ( 1662-1722), but it dates to the late Qing dynasty, Guangxu period (1875-1908) and is commonly reffered to as Kangxi revival.

The saucer has a four character Qianlong reign mark (1736-1795), but it also dates to the Guangxu reign (1875-1908), and would normally have a spurious Kangxi reign mark, but other reign marks are not all that uncommon.

Cheers,
Keith
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum