big ed
R.Ferrao
vhb64
mr paige
11 posters

Go down

Marei - Page 2 Empty Re: Marei

Post by Gérard December 16th 2012, 11:51 am

As a newcomer, it seems to me that taking a closer look at the pots themselves , and describing what we see more specifically and in greater details (instead of exclaming 'stunning!' at every turn, as some collectors do); and attempting to imagine the technical steps (and the processes, if we can), as well as the aesthetic choices which led to those luscious lava glazes, could help us make our attributions on the basis of — and with the help of — what is there (for all to see!).
It would also greatly enhance our appreciation and enjoyment of the works.
Before I found out about the recent Marei reattributions, from Ralf and Volker, I was wondering how Roth could have produced the thick, rich glazes now attributed to Marei and, at the same time, the 'nice', decorative, but formulaic glazes (still credited to Roth), which consist of a thin, regular, shiny, red, orange or yellow glaze, overlayered with streaks of thick, matt, pumice-like greyish black glaze running on the neck.
I am grateful for the productive research work which has given an exciting range of glazes an identity — Marei. This reminds me that, from a visual point of view, this identity was always there for all of us to see (even without the right name attached to it), had we taken the trouble to look a little closer, more carefully, at the 'materiality' of the works; rather than by relying somewhat lazzily on faulty attribution to frame our perception.
Like the Japanese tea masters of old, we could go in search of pots which have something special, like some glaze effects accidentally produced during firing, irrespective of who made them; concentrating on their 'materiality'.
In the process we may refine our perception and our aesthetic sense.
Serious, thoroughly documented historical research — of the type currently undertaken by Ralf and Volker around Marei — and sharing the information we have with them, will complement and enhance this work and lift the appreciation of WGP to new heights.
I look forward to the publication of a serious book/s about Marei, in which the works would be systematically catalogued, and placed in their historical context, with the help of contemporary documents (trade catalogues and adds, articles, interviews with people who were directly involved, etc.), and its aesthetic significance discussed in a mature way.

Marei - Page 2 182422
Gérard
Gérard

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-07

http://keramicconversations.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kincardine December 16th 2012, 10:17 pm

I understand and appreciate your message.....look at the pieces closer and the attributions will become clear.....thoroughly researched books should be written and sold to those that can afford them......what a load of elitist horse hockey...complete and utter shit.

"instead of exclaiming 'stunning' at every turn as some collectors do"........how condescending....sort of discounts the time, energy and money that countless collectors put into finding and posting thousands of pieces of pottery .....creating a priceless, open to all resource such as this forum and others. These collectors you hold so low are the main customers for any book on the subject and drive the price of these pieces that you find at fleamarkets for a Euro or two. Besides, sometimes the word "stunning" says it all and it becomes the start of an excellent conversation about pottery.

Dear Ralf and Volker....party on and good luck with that book of yours.....but when it really comes down to spending my pottery money on a piece of Ceramano or your book......I will pick the piece of pottery every day. I don't have the money to take this passion of mine into buying books....I must rely on the kindness of others that post their pottery and resources for free. Guess I am not among the elite.

My hat is off to the collectors that got the ball rolling....that brought awareness to WGP and gave it an Internet presence. I forgive them for making a few wrong turns. It is in my nature to forgive.......hope you can find the character to forgive them too.

Please note Bistoboy: no fairies were killed in the writing of this post.

Hey moderators.....feel free to cancel my membership on this forum. I'm ready.
Kincardine

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kincardine December 16th 2012, 11:57 pm

Rothgate .......my ass.....what are you? Conspiracy theorists?
Kincardine

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralf J. December 17th 2012, 2:14 pm

Kincardine, thanks for the spot on your thoughts. I know that a lot of people may think like that. I don't. But please note: What Gérard means is when people post their pottery asking to be ID'd, then they should look closer, not easily referring to a book, take one of the possible form numbers mentioned and believe it. They should think about it and then they will find out (maybe) if it fits or not. Elite? I don't think so. Thinking is not for an Elite. And it's for free. See, Gérards Blog about Pottery Conversations is FREE. The little book about Marei will be a low-cost project, NOT being sold at a high price (just to cover the costs) as I know that collectors rather spend their money on pieces, not on books. But if there are books, then they should be reseached properly. Hm, maybe "stunning" is what I'm thinking of some pieces, too. But collectors ask for a company and a year to know what they got. Of course I'm thankful for collectors posting their pieces so I can see them. But I'd like to help, too, and have you ever thought how much time and money the reseachers like Volker spend to help other collectors? Isn't it worth to keep that going?

And Rothgate..conspiracy theorists? Hm. No. But you don't seem to know what happened before the Marei re-attribution finally happened. How many people were putting Volker down, laughing at him, deleted his messages, trying to keep his searching results away from the public eye. Maybe not conspiracy by full purpose (or..?) but what really happened as a fact can be described as something like that.

But Gérard also suggested to look at pottery in a different way, to look closer at what we got. And it can be a lot of fun, discussing pottery in a little different way and judging it by the quality, the material, the glaze, not only by the company name and the price collector's are willing to pay for it.

Ralf
Ralf J.
Ralf J.

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by skay December 17th 2012, 7:26 pm

Kincardine wrote:......what a load of elitist horse hockey...complete and utter shit.

Please note Bistoboy: no fairies were killed in the writing of this post.

Hey moderators.....feel free to cancel my membership on this forum. I'm ready.

No need to be rude K Shrugs we already did a debate on this matter. Also no need to cancel your membership, just don't sign on anymore if you don't like the forum. I hope you decide to stay.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gérard December 17th 2012, 8:33 pm

Frustrated
Taking the trouble to offer constructive comments; to invite discussion along different lines does not warrant rudeness.
Recommending 'closer looking' as a way of compensating for lazzily relying on names, is not elitist; it is simply asking to use our eyes and minds.
I advise our rude member closer reading, too, instead of using my comments as a pretext to vent his prejudices and, in so doing, sadly, defuse the debate.
Applying the word 'stunning' to everything is not helping anyone, either; I am sorry if you don't like it.
Debating requires listening, thinking, then reacting positively; i.e. with some consideration; and offering insights. It is also about extending the field for the common good;
not about being self-assertive, offensive in immature and vulgar form.
My final word is that you have no right to be rude and vulgar!
I/we welcome your insights, however, if you have any; but do leave your vulgarity at home…
Gérard
Gérard

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-07

http://keramicconversations.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 5th 2013, 11:07 am

Welcome to the forum Gerard,
I'm pleased to find someone who wants to talk about the process rather than skirting over pieces with just a few superlatives:happy11: 

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed December 8th 2013, 6:38 pm

Marei - Page 2 Chimne10
Form 2003
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Marei - Page 2 Empty Could someone help me id this vase please?

Post by Joel Paiva February 24th 2014, 12:44 am

Marei - Page 2 17986410Marei - Page 2 17790710
Joel Paiva
Joel Paiva

Male Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2013-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 26th 2015, 2:43 am

Tall Marei jug, No. 7304

Marei - Page 2 Image110

Marei - Page 2 Image111