Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil

Go down

Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil Empty Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil

Post by scavo on July 28th 2012, 7:42 pm

On another forum all kinds of avenues have been suggested for further research. It has been said that is does look British and shows signs of quality. The names Webb and Stuart have been offered for names to enquire about. I have found similarities with items of amber Stuart crystal. The design shares similarities with Keith Murray art deco designs. The deep pontil is a sign of quality British crystal but is common to Polish Krosno too.
If you have any suggestions I would love to read them.

Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil DSCN2565
Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil DSCN2566
Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil DSCN2567
scavo
scavo

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2012-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003545938629&ref=t

Back to top Go down

Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil Empty Re: Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil

Post by NaomiM on July 28th 2012, 8:42 pm

I believe, when it grades from yellow-amber-red it's 'amberina' glass. A lot of it is American pressed glass, but it's been made since Victorian times in various countries, although I can't say I've noticed any as being made in Britain.
Does it look as though it's got a lot of age to it?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 21603
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil Empty Re: Is this British? Amber cut crystal pair with deep polished pontil

Post by scavo on July 28th 2012, 8:56 pm

This is not pressed glass. I'm fairly confident this pair are free-blown crystal. It isn't red - amber either. It's all amber, where the glass is denser, the colour is deeper. When viewed together there are differences between the 2. A trait of Keith Murray glass objects. It's a long-shot but worth pursuing the line of enquiry.
scavo
scavo

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 28th 2012, 9:54 pm

Keith Murray didn't strike me as a fluting kinda guy. I suspect they're more likely to be Bohemian.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by scavo on July 28th 2012, 10:18 pm

If you look in Hajdamach's 20th Century Glass, on p142, there is a piece of Stevens and Williams glass designed by Murray. It has similar treatments: scalloping, beveling, deep polished pontil.

I cannot find anything remotely similar by Czech/Bohemian producers (I'm only using the internet, mind). All the amber Czech, amber glass I've handled, owened or seen has been yellowy. In my experience free blown Czech glass has a polished flat base, not a concave, highly polished pontil. The width of the pontil is something that could point to Stuart. The colour is very similar to British amber crystal of the '30s by Stuart and Whitefriars (I do not think it's Whitefriars). The pontil is common to Polish Krosno, but these are heavier and thicker, overall better qulity feel to them. They weigh 1.7kg each and stand 12" tall.
scavo
scavo

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 28th 2012, 10:36 pm

Sorry, silly comment of mine, previously, about Keith Murray.

Bohemian can be faceted, but you're right about the base.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by scavo on July 29th 2012, 4:31 am

I'd be very interested to see an example of what you're comparing these to from Bohemia.
scavo
scavo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum