Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass

4 posters

Go down

Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass Empty Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass

Post by CMC July 1st 2012, 5:14 pm

Picked this paperweight up this weekend turned it over expecting too see a Chinese looking matt base surprised to see a round circular label denoting a maker which I would have never have guessed in a million years for a bit of fun anyone want to have a stab?
Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass SDC11687
Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass SDC11688
Chris

Last edited by denbydump on February 14th 2023, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pos ID)
CMC
CMC

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass Empty Re: Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass

Post by Davee July 1st 2012, 8:36 pm

Isle of Wight?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass Empty Re: Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass

Post by CMC July 3rd 2012, 3:54 pm

Hi, interested to why you thought Isle of Wight? my initial thoughts were maybe Chinese, Murano or Czech? or was it just a complete guess ?
A clue not Chinese, or Murano but a connection to both.
Chris
CMC
CMC

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle July 3rd 2012, 6:17 pm

Mtarfa?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 3rd 2012, 8:35 pm

Ok, I give up. What is it?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee July 3rd 2012, 9:08 pm

MDG?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by CMC July 4th 2012, 4:36 pm

Hi, impressed you are again quite correct.
Malta Decorative Glass a short lived company started by the Maltese government in conjunction with the Chinese, with Vincente Boffo who worked at Whitefriars and Mdina brought in to train the locals.
Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass SDC11685
CMC
CMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee July 4th 2012, 7:06 pm

It was the Chinese mention that gave it away, that's 2 i've got right now, what do I win? Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 4th 2012, 9:01 pm

I would have said Chinese if you hadn't already ruled it out.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by CMC July 6th 2012, 11:00 am

Hi Simone,is it Chinese though in respect of was it made in China or was it made in Malta the label says Malta Decorative Glass, it has an amber core bubbles and a clean shiny polished base, so why then could it not have been made by at the factory using local workforce under the tutorship of probably Mr Boffo of course it would have a Chinese influence, Italian too I would imagine? did they too make this type of weight, now I know nothing about Chinese paperweights but the ones I pick up and quickly put back are normally poor quality with a milky matt base so I thought this was quite interesting because so little is known about MDG I have seen quite a few examples of animal paperweights from this factory and with the exception of a couple they are on the whole pretty 'poor' but there are collectors, probably due mostly to the 'Boffo' collection a photo here of a dog and believe me it is a 'dog' Laughter but still sells never the less, no accounting for taste.

Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass SDC12795

Suprise paperweight label not what it seems - Malta Decorative Glass SDC12839
CMC
CMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum