Nuutajärvi tumblers?

Go down

Nuutajärvi tumblers? Empty Nuutajärvi tumblers?

Post by subversivegrrl December 23rd 2011, 2:48 pm

I think I originally posted this question in the wrong place - my apologies! (under "Scandinavian Glass" - if a mod could delete the old post, I would so appreciate it.)

I recently bought a set of six glasses that I believe were designed by Saara Hopea-Untracht in the late 1950s for Nuutajärvi. They are ~7.5" tall, with a thick and heavy base - although the dark color of the glass makes it difficult to tell for sure, the bottom of the glass appears to be about .75" thick and perhaps more. I have not yet checked their volume. They are made of high quality glass, with concentric rings on the base and an indented center (I don't think they're individually mouth-blown - maybe mold blown?)

Nuutajärvi tumblers? Nuutajarvitumblers
Nuutajärvi tumblers? Nuutajarvipontil

In trying to identify them, I have seen glasses in an almost identical shape, albeit proportionately shorter, with a very similar base, that were identified as Nuutajärvi #1710, designed by Hopea. The description of those glasses stated that they were made in two ways - with thin bottoms (of a thickness similar to the walls), and also in a version with a thick base, but I don't know what sizes might have been made beyond the shorter tumblers I've seen. I also have seen Nuutajarvi wares in this color, although the timing of the glass color and the Hopea design (in catalog 1958-1967) may not match up.

I know that Holmegard made glasses with a very similar shape, but in those I believe the base is solid glass from the point of the "neck"- mine are open down into the base.

Is anyone able to confirm my ID, or point me in another direction?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
subversivegrrl
subversivegrrl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum