Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine?

Go down

Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Empty Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine?

Post by postmodernnut on November 19th 2011, 5:24 pm

Since we purchased this piece 16 years ago for $41, we have never been able to positively identify it. Now we believe it was done by Venini and is a bollicine and probably by Scarpa. If anyone has any thoughts, positive or negative we would great appreciate it. It is 31.1 cm tall
Many thanks in advance.
Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Green_11
Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Green_12
Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Green_13
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Empty Re: Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine?

Post by postmodernnut on January 5th 2012, 3:44 pm

bump
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Back to top Go down

Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine? Empty Re: Tall Italian pitcher, is it a Bollicine?

Post by Nic on January 5th 2012, 4:13 pm

At the risk of coming across a little rude, the pitcher doesn't really scream of good quality glass, never mind Venini/Scarpa quality.

If it's Italian at all, I'd probably cast my gaze over towards Tuscany rather than Venice.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by postmodernnut on January 5th 2012, 6:14 pm

You are not being rude at all. Though it really is very good quality, it is just the images. I have had several glass collectors agree on its quality. But I will pursue the Tuscany line. I have only seen this design once and it was associated with Scarpa. I will try a better image or two and send them pm to you. Thank you, your thoughts are appreciated.
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic on January 5th 2012, 6:36 pm

I had a quick flick through Carlo Scarpa: I Vetri Di Murano 1927 - 1947 and Carlo Scarpa: Glass of An Architect by Marino Barovier, as well as the two-volume Venini Glass tome by Franco Deboni, but couldn't find anything even similar to this design.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2526
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by postmodernnut on January 6th 2012, 6:19 pm

Thank you very much for looking. We have the Vertri book, but not the other two. My reference where I found the shape, we in European auction site a few years ago, I didn't copy the site, so don't remember which one it was. But, as I have come very aware of, many of the auction companies, including the reputable ones, have a flair in their marketing, which is a discussion in and of itself. Once again we thank you.
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Christine on March 13th 2012, 3:53 pm

Looks like recycled glass to me
Christine
Christine

Female Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-02-03

http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on May 27th 2012, 10:20 pm

I've been researching bubble glass recently, having acquired a couple of pieces. Bollicine is the technique of placing lines of bubbles in glass with a metal tool (eg, Whitefriars bubble glass).
The technique used in this pitcher is pulegoso - made by adding kerosene or sodium carbonate to the glass which results in carbon dioxide bubbles. (In ancient times, glass regularly had such impurities resulting in 'soda glass').
The exponent of the technique in the 20th Century was Carlos Scarpa in Murano, and Daum, Nancy, France, but their pieces have a modernist design where as this pitcher is of a classic design.

On balance I would say this is piece made for the tourist trade, copying the impure soda glass of ancient Rome.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 21580
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum