Old Mdina double faceted vase

Go down

Old Mdina double faceted vase Empty Old Mdina double faceted vase

Post by Spencerline on October 23rd 2011, 11:55 pm

Old Mdina double faceted vase Mdina_11Old Mdina double faceted vase Mdina10Old Mdina double faceted vase Mdina_12
This is an Mdina vase but unsigned, the glass in this one is a lower quality as you can see seeds in it if you look closely. I have a few mdina pieces and the glass quality is better in all but one of the others as they are all signed early seventies I wonder if it was one of the very early vases when Michael Harris couldnt get the highest quality of glass. Does anybody have any ideas, Kev
Spencerline
Spencerline

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-10-23

http://algarvepigeonracing.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12

Back to top Go down

Old Mdina double faceted vase Empty Re: Old Mdina double faceted vase

Post by Davee on October 24th 2011, 10:02 am

On a hunch I don't think its Harris period, but probably mid to late 70's. But I could be wrong Shrugs

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2161
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Spencerline on October 24th 2011, 5:30 pm

Hi Davee, I have a few choice pices of Mdina from the early 70s after Harris left they are all signed and dated on the bases , what makes this piece differ is the quality of the glass used is not to the same standard as the 70s pieces I own.
I know that when the factory first opened Michael found it difficult to purchase the top quality glass so maybe this is a really early piece, I am not sure of the exact colours used in the early days when he first began glassmaking but I know Michael Harris made most of these type pieces himself, kev
Spencerline
Spencerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee on October 24th 2011, 5:42 pm

This shape was made from mid 70's into the 90's. So pinning it down to exact era and maker would prove to be difficult. If a peice was marked or not was fairly hit or miss and really doesn't provide clues as to the date. The earth tones fish vase that i posted in the Mdina thread was a late 70's/early 80's and was unmarked also.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee on October 24th 2011, 5:50 pm

I have just checked and have found one very similar in a picture from the 1970-71 catalouge so you could well be right. I always think the best way with Mdina is to handle it and see it in the flesh as you get a real feel for the age and quality.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Spencerline on October 24th 2011, 5:56 pm

Thanks for your help Davee, as you say you can never be truly sure but I have handled afew of these exact vases signed from the mid 70s but the quality of glass in this one is not quite as clear as those. It has seeds of impurities in the clear glass casing. Kev
Spencerline
Spencerline

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish on October 26th 2011, 12:09 pm

Hard to tell date without handling (not necessarily easy even then) and without a signature. I suspect this is not very early and so made with the original batches of glass available at Mdina. That glass tended to have a quite bluey/green tint, you can see it in the clear casing in this sidestrip although I think it is accentuated in this photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5579154610127481202

Whenever it was made it looks like a nice example, for what it's worth, my guess would be anytime in the seventies.

John
JoFish
JoFish

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Spencerline on October 26th 2011, 9:03 pm

Hi Jofish/John thanks again for the info, I have a few Mdina pieces early 70s signed really good examples of the best stuff they did but this one unsigned has many seeds in the glass itself in otherwords impurities in the glass.

i have read a piece somewhere about when Michael first began with glassmaking there in Malta that he could only get a poorer quality of glass.

Looking at all the other examples that are signed in my possesion they are a higher quality of glass, also my mate has an almost identical vase his is signed 1973 and has no impurities in it.
I will try and get a better picture tomorrow that shows these seeds and then you will see what I mean. Thanks again Kev
Spencerline
Spencerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum