Need Help with this Cut Glass Vase with Facial Features

Go down

Need Help with this Cut Glass Vase with Facial Features

Post by mjron on May 4th 2011, 12:20 pm

Hi,

I recently acquired this vase, but haven't been able to ID it. It has a polished pontil on the underside and is made of fairly heavy glass. The top has facial features cut into it. It reminds me of Bjorn Wiinblad, but there is no signature or mark on the piece. Does anyone recognize it?

mjron

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help with this Cut Glass Vase with Facial Features

Post by TrippyPip on May 6th 2011, 11:54 am

I'm afraid I don't recognise this piece at all. I'm fairly certain it's nothing to do with Bjorn Wiinblad although I can see why you'd mention it. All of the Wiinblad designs for glass I've seen were for Rosenthal and this doesn't look right for Rosenthal either.

The vase itself looks contemporary to me although the engraving makes me think it's not. My suggestion would be to explore some Italian glassmakers or possibly even look at Kosta Boda (don't think it's by them but probs worth investigating) both of whom produced figurative glass pieces.
TrippyPip

Female Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

So funny that I'd come across this post!

Post by phonegirl on March 22nd 2015, 9:36 pm

I have the IDENTICAL vase!! And I have NO idea who designed/made it either!!
What I can confirm, is that it was made in the 1950s. My parents bought it in Toronto (somewhere) between 1958-1960.
I've tried everything to ID it. A friend of mine was sure it was Winblad, but I've never seen another.
So, I guess misery loves company! Sorry I can't help with the ID.
phonegirl

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron on March 22nd 2015, 11:07 pm

Hi phonegirl,

Thanks for the info! I wonder if its some Canadian maker, although I couldn't imagine who as there weren't many Canadian glassblowers. Chalet is one of the few that comes to mind. Probably an import into Canada, but I'm in Montreal, so the fact that yours came from Toronto and mine from Montreal makes me wonder. If you find out anything further, please keep me in the loop and I'll do the same for you.

Ron
mjron

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum