ID These Bookends or Sculptures?

Go down

ID These Bookends or Sculptures?

Post by guyinsf on January 18th 2011, 1:15 am

I bought this pair at a thrift shop in SF but have no idea what they are. At first I thought they were bookends because they are flat on one side but they have an almost abstract modernist sculptural look to them. The brass or gold-plated metal parts have an interesting number to them and both have the exact same number. No mark or sticker at the bottom. Could these just be some metal parts from some object that got taken apart and the designer decided to make bookends out of them and created the wooden bases to go with the metal parts? Or it's an actual design? They are just a tad above 6" in height.
Thanks!

guyinsf

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: ID These Bookends or Sculptures?

Post by Nic on January 18th 2011, 11:24 am

I think your idea that they're metal parts converted into bookends is correct. Were they made specifically as bookends there would be no reason for those two notches at the bottom of each metal piece, nor the redundant screw-hole between them.

That said, they do work very well as bookends - I would have gone for them. Happy
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2529
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by guyinsf on January 18th 2011, 6:04 pm

Nic wrote:I think your idea that they're metal parts converted into bookends is correct. Were they made specifically as bookends there would be no reason for those two notches at the bottom of each metal piece, nor the redundant screw-hole between them.

That said, they do work very well as bookends - I would have gone for them. Happy

Thanks for your input Nic!
guyinsf

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty on May 11th 2011, 3:28 pm

They remind me of gun sights, could be of a ship?

Potty

Number of posts : 3458
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum