tenpot
dantheman
Calusa
28 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Another bowl

Post by Calusa May 26th 2012, 5:43 pm

I found this large bowl in a local thrift shop yesterday. It was made by Raul in 1982, which indicates it was made at his Venice, California studio (Raul Coronel Inc.) rather than Stoneware Designs Inc. It is 12 1/2 inches in diameter and just under 4 inches high. It is made of white stoneware clay (possibly mixed with porcelain), with a beautiful glaze of magenta and blues.
Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_b17
Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_b18Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_b19
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Re: Raul Coronel

Post by dantheman June 18th 2012, 8:45 pm

this thread is in the top ten most read forum topics despite Raul being previously unknown to nearly all of the British members Most Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa June 19th 2012, 1:09 am

Thanks Dan! This is the place people from all over the world now go to find previously unavailable information about Raul. Some of the material has been cited (pirated) by several other MCM sites (that's OK if it's credited). This thread has made Raul famous all over again--he is thrilled!
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman June 19th 2012, 12:44 pm

that's great news,it's about time an American potter featured prominantly on the forum,we know so little about studio pottery made in the USA but I have been very impressed by the selection I have seen so far

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by laureninhb June 25th 2012, 12:01 am

I have a wall hanging that I inherited from my parents home.  Can you tell me anything about it?  I noticed that it is similar to the bank wall hangings.  We also have three ceramic round tables.  I could not see that they had been signed but the invoice says that they are Raul Coronel tables.  
The invoice says:
"3 pedestal tables by Raul Coronel (Stoneware Designs)
Height- 14"
Pedestal- "Cornwall Thick"
Top-"Peacock Blue"

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Getatt16

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Getatt16

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/61/18/87/getatt16.jpg
laureninhb
laureninhb

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa June 25th 2012, 12:20 am

Wow Lauren, that's a great piece! Perhaps you could get a photo less in perspective, maybe stand it up? And please post pics of the tables also! Thanks for sharing (and check your private messages).
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Another one...

Post by Calusa July 15th 2012, 9:05 pm

Got this one in a trade with a friend. It is 9 inches tall and 7 inches wide. It was made for a one man show at the Brand Library Art Gallery. The pot is dated 1975.
Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_710
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by ahkimo August 5th 2012, 7:01 am

hi, i just run into this today in an estate, wonder if that is real.

it is not signed, but you can see some sort of mark on the cloth that suggest something was there before.

the tiger is cracked, the body into two pieces as well as the last section of the tail.

could you please let me know if that is real, if so. when it is made?

and you mentioned on other post you could find a signature. could you please let me know if that is possible?

thank you

Photobucket

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Photo1

Photobucket

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Photo2

Photobucket

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Photo3
ahkimo
ahkimo

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-05

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Tiger

Post by Calusa August 5th 2012, 5:56 pm

The piece is definitely real. It is an early version as it has a silkscreen printed background which indicates it was produced approximately 1958-64. Later versions did not have printing on the fabric, and the design was changed to include a stoneware sun with no trees. It is missing the small signature tile. I have not as yet had Raul make replacement tiles, but I still plan on doing so. If you will contact me by Private Message (PM) on the Forum and provide a direct email address and/or phone number, I will notify you when I have them. Nice find, I have never seen this design before. The later version is pictured in the Stoneware Designs Inc. catalog from approximately 1967.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by ahkimo August 6th 2012, 2:07 am

thank you everyone.

i am so excited to know it is real.

now will need to plan on repair it. if anyone has good suggestion, please let me know

ps. sorry about the double images, i used photobucket and don't know which link i should add. now i know.
ahkimo
ahkimo

Registration date : 2012-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 6th 2012, 1:38 pm

I would suggest you ask a professional restorer as they don't charge that much if the breaks are clean

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy August 11th 2012, 7:49 am

If you live in Southern California there is a woman that repairs and does an excellent job, she lives in Huntington Beach. She did such a fantastic job of repairing some nicks on a Heino bowl of mine that I can't remember where or how many there actually were on the bowl. PM me for the name and address.
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by vintagemodernsd August 13th 2012, 3:44 am

This is from my personal collection, just thought you would like to see the table top variation of the floor lamp shown on the first page.

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Photo11
vintagemodernsd
vintagemodernsd

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Raul's current activities

Post by Calusa October 16th 2012, 12:40 am

In my first post to this section on Raul Coronel, I mentioned his writing. His first novel "An Idol for Sheila Machen" has recently been retitled and published as an "eBook". The new title is "Death by Fire: The Kiln Goddess" and it is available from all the usual sources at a very reasonable price. His second novel "The Cortez Coins" is also available as an eBook. He is currently at work on a third novel "The Other Son" which is a sequel to the epic "Cortez Coins". He is also working on an autobiography.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty An Amazing Find!

Post by Calusa October 30th 2012, 6:13 pm

Forum Member "Thoroughly Modern Billy" scored this outrageous coffee table at a local estate sale a few days ago. It was made by Raul about 1968-9. This amazing wheel thrown cylinder is 18 inches tall and 33 inches in diameter! The top is one inch thick Travertine marble. Raul Coronel - Page 5 Bill_s10
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by acrawshay November 20th 2012, 8:07 pm

Ha! I missed out on getting that by about 10 minutes as Thoroughly Modern Billy was leaving to go get the cash to complete the deal. I was sick to my stomach about it, though it was not cheap.
It had no top on it when sold. I think I personally would go with glass so you can appreciate the throwing lines on the inside. It was massive and beautiful.
acrawshay
acrawshay

Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy November 20th 2012, 8:39 pm

"It had no top on it when sold." The travertine top was left outside in the backyard and is original to the table. This has been confirmed by Raul.
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy November 20th 2012, 11:13 pm

The glass top idea isn't bad at all...Thanks for the tip.
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty One of a Kind Sunflower.

Post by Throughly Modern Billy March 27th 2013, 2:48 am

I was very fortunate to score this beautiful one of a kind piece by Raul Coronel. Most Excellent
This Sunflower was purchased from it's original owner.
This piece is 38 x 20 inches and is mounted on board and is heavy. This is the first of Raul's pieces I have seen mounted in this fashion.
The flower are approx 8 inches diameter with the stem of the flower is 2ft long and it's largest pedal being 7in by 1/2in thick!
This is one great piece!

[url=Raul Coronel - Page 5 Img_8716][url=Raul Coronel - Page 5 Img_8717][url=Raul Coronel - Page 5 Img_8719][url=Raul Coronel - Page 5 Img_8720]
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Another Raul pot:

Post by Calusa April 2nd 2013, 12:20 am

Here's a fine lamp base that turned up with a local dealer. My friend forwarded the picture to me. No info on size, date, etc. But a nice example regardless...
Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_l10
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 5 Empty Raul in a kiln:

Post by Calusa April 2nd 2013, 1:38 am

Here's a photo of Raul inside Brent Bennet's kiln taken last year at Brent's housewarming party. You may remember Brent was one of Raul's assistants at Stoneware Designs, Inc. and later became a partner in Raul Coronel Incorporated in the early 1980's. If you are interested, you can see some of Brent's work at bjbdesign.com. He still replicates some of Raul's designs from the 60's thru the 80's (he has legal rights to produce the designs through the partnership agreement).
Raul Coronel - Page 5 Raul_i10
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by vintagegoodness August 17th 2013, 5:53 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 5 00210

Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this thread! I scored a large 19x31 wall piece today at an estate sale, it has a few condition issues though, some water staining on the fabric background, and a crack on one of the small branches that doesn't look like it was one of the intentional ones, but it is kind of hard to tell. It has the Coronel signature. Any info on what year it was made or value would be very helpful, thanks so much!
Mitzi
vintagegoodness
vintagegoodness

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-17

http://www.vintagegoodness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy August 19th 2013, 6:26 pm

Hello Mitzi,
I'm almost certain it's a one of a kind.  I own the large Sunflower piece (above) of Mr Coronel's which was confirmed to be a one of a kind.
I know that he did make a small production version of the potted plant, examples can be found on the internet.

I would be interested to know, in which city or state did you find his piece?  It seems that besides California, some of his examples
have been found in Florida and New York.

Can you send a close-up on the crack that you have mentioned?  

As far as value...??? Maybe member Calusa can't give you more info on this piece.

TMB
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Post by vintagegoodness August 20th 2013, 3:59 pm

Oh I think someone edited out my comment, sorry about that, let me upload a couple of the close up photos here:

Here are the two "cracks" on the lower part of the stem, I think these aren't really cracks but just where two different pieces are next to each other:

Raul Coronel - Page 5 01111

Here is the other crack that is toward the top of the stem, I think this one is actually a crack:

Raul Coronel - Page 5 01610
vintagegoodness
vintagegoodness

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-17

http://www.vintagegoodness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy August 20th 2013, 4:07 pm

OK..the first photo showing the "cracks" in the stems are meant to be there, I have the same on my piece (The Sunflower) Those are separate pieces of the flower. The second photo seems to be a crack that may have happened during firing, assembly or at a later date. Does the crack go all the way through from left to right and is it loose from the backboard?
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum