NaomiM
flying free
andywooders
gareth-h
bistoboy
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Empty Re: Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston

Post by trefor_d August 26th 2022, 12:51 pm

By Daisy Makeig Jones for Wedgewood.By the way Naomi,I found the maker of the salt glazed pot I was trying to identify -Wim Mohlendyck 1905-1986.Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Img_2072
trefor_d
trefor_d

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2022-05-17

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Empty Re: Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston

Post by NaomiM August 26th 2022, 1:34 pm

Cheers Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Empty Wedgwood - Keith Murray?

Post by fuzzyedges September 10th 2022, 6:01 pm

I recently purchased a coffee set from Wedgwood This is what I think
1)its a Keith Murray design Machine turned
2) its from the etruria works dating it to the ? 30s
What I havnt found is another (in any colour ) design similar or same
Also the design is April Green which I havnt located
Probably staring me in the face
Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Ty_05110
Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston - Page 3 Ty_05210
fuzzyedges
fuzzyedges

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by paveybe September 11th 2022, 10:35 am

Did Wedgewood do a utility range in 1940s? it has that pared-down style, more functional than art deco but with art deco influence... Looking amongst other such ranges might give you other examples - maybe other colours. There might be some documentary records somewhere about Wedgewood response to government guidelines on china production at that time.

This is from Clay and Fire:

" In 1941-42 the ceramics industry was brought under Government control. Under the Wartime Concentration Scheme potteries were rated nucleus, concentrated or closed down. The higher end manufacturers went on as before but only to produce for export. Starting in 1943, the ‘concentrated’ potteries were given a list of approved Utility shapes to be produced in white or natural clay colour only. No decoration or colour was permitted. It is unclear where the designs came from but the cups for instance are very similar to pre-war hotel wares. Unlike the furniture designs where the specification was precisely controlled, the potters produced their own versions of the shapes and made them using their existing production-lines and clays. The range was basic and the shapes robust and plain. Mugs are cylinders and matching bowls are larger lower cylinders with rounded bases and neat feet. Beakers are crisp inverted cones."

https://drojkent.wordpress.com/2019/06/17/modernism-or-pragmatism-british-utility-ceramics-in-the-1940s/
paveybe
paveybe

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2017-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzyedges September 12th 2022, 7:50 pm

They have the etruria stamp, which if ive read correct, all the production was moved to the Burslem works by the back end of the 30's and the etruria works were demolished soon after as they were unsafe due to subsidence from mining
has anyone any knowledge of the April Green design
Ive just found that Wedgewood in the thirties printed the colour not the design on the base so april green is the colour
fuzzyedges
fuzzyedges

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzyedges October 13th 2022, 7:25 pm

More research and a helping hand from an unexpected quarter (for which I am grateful )
This is the annular design
The Annular shape was designed by Tom Wedgwood and John Goodwin for a French store.
Keith Murry apparently only designed the tureen for this range
fuzzyedges
fuzzyedges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum