Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase

+2
Nic
Dorian_Graye
6 posters

Go down

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Empty Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase

Post by Dorian_Graye December 18th 2009, 9:49 pm

I don't know where this comes from, but one recently sold on ebay for a fair amount of money: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310183869634&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

it's 8.5" inches tall. Anyone have any ideas?

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Img_1429

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Img_1430

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Img_1431
Dorian_Graye
Dorian_Graye

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Empty Re: Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase

Post by Nic December 18th 2009, 10:10 pm

Tough call - the shape is very German, the caramel colour very Italian (Empoli), and the watery white interior very Chinese.

It would be impossible to tell for certain unless one crops up with an original label.

Gotta love the auction you link to - essentially: I don't know what it is, but it's RARE! Surely you have to know what something is to judge its rarity? Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Icon_rolleyes
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase Empty Re: Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase

Post by Carolyn Preston December 19th 2009, 4:27 am

Makes me think of a chocolate fountain. YUM!!!!!

Carolyn
Carolyn Preston
Carolyn Preston

Female Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 20th 2009, 11:34 am

Well we know it's definitely not Holmegaard - my gut feeling is Empoli (Italy).

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian_Graye December 20th 2009, 2:12 pm

I would like to thank you so much for your reply. This forum is truly helpful. Empoli? Really? Do you think you might post a link to a site or post an example of this shape that would lead you to believe this? Would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Dorian_Graye
Dorian_Graye

Back to top Go down

Post by skay December 20th 2009, 2:34 pm

I don't think a gut feeling is as strong as being able to point to an example Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase 314189

Have you seen our thread here: http://fatlava.forummotion.com/italian-glass-f43/empoli-italy-t3844.htm

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian_Graye December 20th 2009, 2:45 pm

Thank you, Skay. Yes, I have looked at that section of the forum. I love looking at glass and spend quite a bit of time combing over sites and books, so that it will help me to be more aware of items to pick up while I'm out shopping at resale shops and estate sales. The shape of this one doesn't seem like empoli. I'm going to research more german glass companies, per Nic's suggestion. Maybe someone could suggest a few german glass companies, so that I have starting point.
Dorian_Graye
Dorian_Graye

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 20th 2009, 3:26 pm

Hirschberg would be the likeliest German manufacturer.

But don't forget China - they made a LOT of cased glass from the 1970s onwards. Dalian would be the most likely Chinese manufacturer.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorian_Graye December 20th 2009, 3:31 pm

Thanks Nic. This site's administrators should really consider adding a section dedicated exclusively to glass from China. It seems that a forum for that would be the most beneficial for everyone.
Dorian_Graye
Dorian_Graye

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 20th 2009, 3:32 pm

skay has lots of examples that we could use...

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414

Back to top Go down

Post by skay December 20th 2009, 3:51 pm

dantheman wrote:skay has lots of examples that we could use...

Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase 88711 Scandinavian? Cased And "Hooped" Brown Vase 88711 Oi!

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 10:22 am

Dorian_Graye wrote:Thanks Nic. This site's administrators should really consider adding a section dedicated exclusively to glass from China. It seems that a forum for that would be the most beneficial for everyone.

We only cover 20th Century design and I think *most* of the Far Eastern glass we see these days is brand new fresh out of the container. Obviously they were producing glass in the 20th Century but it doesn't on the whole tend to be the mass-produced modern stuff we're seeing regularly coming up for ID here. Personally I buy very little far eastern glass (unless I've made a mistake which happens of course!) and I've no desire to collect it - I wouldn't want to waste a great deal of time or effort on a specific Far Eastern section. We already have a wide enough remit without covering things we're not massively into.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 21st 2009, 12:46 pm

Design snobbery aside, which I think MOST of us unashamedly suffer from here, the main obstacle of having a dedicated Chinese glass section is that recorded information on it is so very thin on the ground, so it's hard to assign glass to specific Chinese factories - which would be much the point of having a dedicated Chinese section.

Of course, if anyone did have some Chinese glass that fitted within the site's 20th Century remit and that they knew some firm details of, it could always be posted under 'International Glass'.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum